MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My passenger side pop up headlight won’t pop up or down on my ‘86 MR2. Fuses are intact, all wires are connected and I can hear the relay click when I « turn them on ». Any idea why?
Help would be greatly appreciated.
On a side note, is it normal that I have a check engine light when the car’s not running?

·
Premium Member
12,296 Posts
There are limit switches incorporated in the motor assembly. These determine where the motor stops, and they are necessary for the motor to run. You may be able to get at them for inspection, and if you cannot repair them by cleaning or adjustment, then you would need a new motor assembly.

Yes, with the ignition on. If you have a CEL with the ignition off, then you have a real problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I’m not sure of what I’m hearing is the relay clicking or the limit switches, really hope I don’t have to buy a motor assembly because these are really hard to find and will most likely be hella expensive X(

·
Premium Member
12,296 Posts
You will not hear the limit switches because they only move when the motor is running.

Make sure you remove the motor fuses before you touch anything. In the situation that you have with bad switches, the motor could start at any time, and it is probably powerful enough to bite your hand off.

·
Registered
1992 SW20 N/A
11 Posts
There should be an adjuster bolt on the side of the lights under the plastic surrounds, this limits how far the headlights move when switched on. Try turning it to see if they'll move.....I know cos I messed about with mine on sw20 and resulted in a drunk half eyed car lol.

Disconnect the battery, Remove the headlight bits & bobs, you can the remove the motor and test it with 2 wires (positive & neg) on a battery. If it moved it ain't goosed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My passenger side pop up headlight won’t pop up or down on my ‘86 MR2. Fuses are intact, all wires are connected and I can hear the relay click when I « turn them on ». Any idea why?
On a side note, is it normal that I have a check engine light when the car’s not running?
[Mine go up manually then i shut lights and drivers goes dwn pass stays up. I think mines the retractor relay or motors. I know lots of mr2 with headlite issues ive chased mine for four months since i bought it but thats minor thank god mines all oem no mods and needs ac comp headlites fixed axles and struts. Got it for. 4000$
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Coupé

m

1 - 6 of 6 Posts