MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 2 down for a test today, non enhanced area, CA. Failed first test, I forgot to check my EGR's operation. Cleaned out a carbon plug and took it for a retest. Car has an old, old catalyst, thought it would be a problem, but it wasn't.

Idle HC was 54PPM and CO .01% O2 1.2% CO2 14.0%
2500rpm HC was 43PPM and CO .13% O2 .6% CO2 14.3%

Car sat for @30 minutes before the test was performed and the cat was not preheated for the test. If the tech heated the cat it would have been cleaner.

Recent oil change, new plugs and 2 1/2 gallons of E85 with a fill up (about 21-23% ethanol for the tank).

If I got a new catalytic converter installed it would probably have passed near zero.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I usually keep my car running while waiting for the emissions test to make sure the catalytic converter stays hot. Even before getting to the inspection shop I drive the car around for 15-20 minutes.

When I first got my car (2 years ago) it had passed although was quite close to the limit. This year I had replaced the catalytic converter and the oxygen sensor and it passed (a few points below the limit).

Note: At the time I replaced the catalytic converter the muffler shop (someone I know well) said the old catalytic converter was shot.

Hopefully CA eases off on these inspections for our old cars. I hope yet highly doubt it will happen.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next time you go to smog the car add a couple of gallons of E85 to the tank. Pour in 2-3 gallons and top off the tank. do that a couple of days before the smog test. The E85, being 85% ethanol will clean the fuel system and the inside of the combustion chamber. Water is also a part of the E85 mix, the ethanol is between 5 and 15% water, will help "decarbon" the piston and combustion chamber.

One of these days I'll remember to do a before and after compression test to see if there is any measurable difference there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts