MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder, what the aerodynamic implications of 'panel gaps' are?
(Panel gaps being, the gaps between the cars panels, fenders etc. :p )

Ive never really thought about it much, but theyre all over the car.
I wonder if there would be any benefit to putting sellotape or something over them?
(Well temporarily, it would look a bit rangy with tape on your car all the time :))

I wonder how much they actually disturb the airflow over the car, if at all?

Probably by a completely insignificant amount, but its something interesting to think about...

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
I would have to say the benefit would be negligible... any drag is slowing you down some, I just dont think the gaps are big enough to be an issue.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My thoughts werent to do with the drag caused by the gaps...

More along the lines of the gaps potentially being the catalyst for flow detachment and turbulence further down the side of the car....

If you know what I mean. :)

However you're probably right, I bet it makes SFA difference.

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
The only way to know this would be windtunnel tests on the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
When I was doing the 1 mile land speed runs, someone suggested to tape up my gaps. I did it and didn't notice any difference, and that was at over 150mph. I doubt you would notice any difference either. Then again, tape is cheap, so there really is no harm in trying.

-Scott

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
I would bet if you where doing stupid speeds like up in the 250+ it would start to make a difference. I know that the cars doing 500+ worry about how smooth the nose cone is. and the gap at the cockpit dome. I am guessing at this speed any gap would likely rip the panels apart.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I bet you that the gaps could cause a bit of air seperation, but not enough to complete the seperation.

All indetation on a relativly flat surface the air passes over, causes low pressure pockets. Inlcuding those gaps, but there are simply not enough "gap" surface relative to the rest of the flat surface, to realy do any damage.

I have seen weak structures however, where the gap panels would flare out, and get trapped in the wind...if that happens you realy need to look into duct-tape aerodynamics....

T

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
it would be noticeable fuel economy wise if your constantly going over 140 mph like a circle track endurance race. In a road course it will be very minimal but every bit helps I guess.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
There's an article in one of the more recent (at most a couple months) racecar engineering mags that had a lot of c/d's of different panel attachment joints and fasteners.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
They're a little dark. If you can't read the numbers I'll post em.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts