MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
R.I.P. Red
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Would high temp (1500 degree) paint be good enough?

2. Do I have to prime the exhaust (Garage Fukui) and if I do what do I prime it with? I would think that regular primer would burn off.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
1500F should be more than enough for the exhaust.

It might be hard to find high temp primper, if you sand it well and evenly and put light coats of paint it should still come out even.

Just out of curiousity, why would you paint the Garage Fukui?

·
R.I.P. Red
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im going to leave the canisters and tips polished. But the Pipeing isnt stainless so its rusting. I figured flat black would look better than rusted gray.

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
flat black is fine. It is rusting so it will rub off before it will peel off. you will just need to reapply ever so often just use cheap paint youre not going to get any better result using expensive paint in this area.

·
R.I.P. Red
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds good Thanks guys.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
If its rusting, I think you should try to get rid of the rust first. If its not too bad, try to sand it off, it will be much better than just painting over the rust.

·
R.I.P. Red
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ITs only surface rust so it shouldnt be to hard to get it off. I also have to get rid of a bunch of over spray from when the preious owner got the car painted.

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
I did forget to say prep it first

·
WWW.TECHNICALGARAGE.COM
3,626 Posts
are you going to paint your exhaust on the car? If so, think you can take some pics?

·
R.I.P. Red
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right now im in the process of rebuilding my motor (Blew cylinder 3 ring landing) so right now its sitting in my backyard. I can take pics while I do it and the car should be done around march so I will take pics of when its back on. It will kinda look like this (Hope bryan doesnt mind im using his pic)

·
R.I.P. Red
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
i overtake on roundabouts
3,802 Posts
i made a new exhaust set-up (read, had to incorparate a cat for legality reasons) for the gte last week, i used the 1500 degree flame proof stuff (i had a tin already laying around in the shed) on my pipes and on the cat as i used mild steel to make it. gave em a good wire brushing over and wiped it all down with prepsol (wax and grease remover).
once i fitted it to the car i ran the car til hot and turned it off for 30 mins (did this 3 times) to help 'bake' the paint on.
i think even engine enamel would work fine for exhaust pipes once you bake it on, i dont really think the exhaust pipes get hot enough to use the 1500 degree flame proof (apart from the cat) wondering if the 1500 degree stuff will bake on properly?
anyways, i'll see how it goes on this system i spose.

thats a very horny looking turbo/exhaust set-up SrADavidson.

·
R.I.P. Red
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
feral4mr2 said:
thats a very horny looking turbo/exhaust set-up SrADavidson.
Actually thats Bryan "Noshoes" Moore's setup. But thanks anyway. Right now I am running a stock CT-26 :( But that will hopefully change by the end of the year. :D

·
WWW.TECHNICALGARAGE.COM
3,626 Posts
my magnaflow muffler didn't come polish and I would like for it to have that chrome look. Should I paint it using duplicolor high heat chrome paint?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm using Rustoleum BBQ satin black paint for my exhaust. It holds up to 1200F, and you can find it at your local hardware stores. Prep by cleaning all grease off completely, let dry, sand, paint layers, bake.

The 1500 degree paint should work great, and the paint cured when you heated it up. The exhaust pipes, turbo, would glow at 1500F.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts