MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Well after long thought, I have decided to send my 89SC in for paint.

It is 3E5 SuperRedII.

I have talked to many people at the local car shows and clubs and have decided to use a certain car painter in town that high end show car owners have used.

I am trying to give him as much assistance as possible, by located replacement trim gaskets, mouldings, valances, pinstriping and such.
He will have the use of the BGB for anything that needs taking apart.

I am insisting that the car be repainted to exacting showroom condition, nothing less. He said no problem.

My question is the actual texture of the paint itself. He said that a solid basecoat/clearcoat should be used. I always thought that it was more of an orange peel texture to it.

What was the texture on a fully showroom condition paint?

Would the dealer have touchup stuff, or a can of original 3E5, that I can get him?

Texture meaning if you are looking at the paint from an angle and see the texture of the paint, not the shade of the color.

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
the paint on my 2 is origional, but doesnt seem to have any orange peel. isnt that caused by rushing the paint too thick or something?

is that what you mean? if so, i can get some closeups of the paint if you like.

sorry i couldnt help :(

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Most cars have a little orangepeel from the factory because they aren't wetsanded and buffed afterwards, just go out to a dealer and see for yourself. This guy will probably be able to do better, and there's not reason why not too, unless you're attempting a concours style restoration. There's no difference between bc/cc and single stage paints as far as texture goes. All he needs to get the color right is the code.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts