MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
you no like the blue? ;)

i dont see why you wouldnt be able to use the can. few coats maybe even a clear and a wetsand afterwerds, could look pritty good.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh accept do I need special spray paint because of the bottle temps? Any reccomended paint?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
they have hight temp spray paint if you really want it. go to pepboys or autozone or rsstrauss and check out there rattle can section. i dont know if home depot sells high temp spray paint.

do those bottles even get hot? i know they have bottle warmers for them to keep them at a certain temp..

·
Registered
254 Posts
Use scotchbrite to scuff up the paint on the bottle. Your not trying to take the paint off the bottle just knock all of the sheen off the paint. Take some paint thinner or degreaser and a white rag and wipe the bottle. Keep wiping it until the rags come off clean.

You can probably do a pretty good job with a rattle can and I wouldn't worry about the paint falling off because the bottle gets so cold. If you want a better finish I would use Acrylic Enamel with a Catalyst and a HVLP paint gun and paint it to match the car. ;)

·
Top Secret MR2
2,767 Posts
Also if you want to get creative, Walmart sells house of colors paint, its a 3 stage paint, so if you do like the above, and buy a scotchbrite and take the clear off, and whipe it down really well, then you could do that and make it look nearly professional, Im going to try this this weekend.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Honestly the bottle clamps will scrape off just about anything you put on ther. I did it, and just had to be very careful when putting the bottle back in the clamps. I used high temp engine spraypaint from autozone or something.

·
Top Secret MR2
2,767 Posts
line the clamps with cloth or double sided sticky tape and dont peal off one side, it should cushion it enough to not have metal on paint. I will be painting mine when it warms up, and take a few pics of the setup as well.

·
Registered
554 Posts
My bottle was previously painted metalic grey when I got it and like GoTime242 said unless your very careful over time the clamps will scratch it, mines behind my seat so I said screw being careful.

BTW What car are you putting nitrous on Jeff?

·
Top Secret MR2
2,767 Posts
Sup Ryan, its been awhile, we need to go party like the old times.... anyways I'm spraying my V8 lexus motor... when I get it all lodged in the back of this MR2. Planning on a 100 shot wet when I get her on the road...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Rustoleum is very durable, I have painted rims with it . another option is to go to a motorcycle shop. Purchase the paint used for frames. Just my 2cents

1 - 11 of 11 Posts