MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who like to drive fast...

Pennsylvania State Police will launch a 30-day speeding ticket frenzy throughout the state starting February 1, 2006. The State estimates that 22 million dollars will be generated in speeding tickets. 3 million will go topay Trooper overtime costs and benefits. There will be 150 StateTrooperson duty during all shifts patrolling the highways. Significant radarenforcement will occur along the I-70, I-76, I-79, I-80, I-81, I-83, I-84, and I-90 corridors. Motorists traveling 6 mph or more above the limit will receive a ticket and every State Trooper is supposed to pull a car over and write a ticket every 10 minutes. Pennsylvania has activated 50 new unmarked cruisers of various makes and models for this pilot program to raise extra funds and meet mandated
quotas. The Pennsylvania State Legislators dreamed up this program to help offsetthe additional funding required to hire 60 new Troopers. I was told KDKA TV and Radio stations confirmed this. So be safe and don't forget speeding tickets are on you.

You've been warned.

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
They sure weren't on 15S today....every car within sight was going 15 over.

·
Banned
3,065 Posts
i don't think it's real. why would the state have to meet a quota? to who? the federal govt? and people going only 6 mph over the limit will be ticketed? pulling someone over every 10 minutes for doing only 6 over? can you say clogged court system? they would end up losing more money that way because everyone would fight it.

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
I think that, statistically, the number of people who would take a ticket to court is extremely small. The revenue they could generate by doing this would be enormous, and why go to court if you're nailed and know you were wrong?

Frankly, if the state would institute this and use the funds to defray our school taxes, I'd be ALL for it.

·
Banned
3,065 Posts
if the state would crack down on drugs in areas like philly in reading and get the slime and immigrants out of these areas it would help too. problem is, the cops are just as crooked and usually confiscate any kind of drug for their own use or sale.

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
David Hawkins said:
why go to court if you're nailed and know you were wrong?
To defned my perfect driving record :)

I am 6 and 1 going to court.
I'll go EVERY time. It pays to go to court.

... besides, it's fun :)

... Cin & I went to court together after I had some knucklehead pulled over last year :D That was different since he got cited, not us.

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
I think that members of this board are not a good statistical group for something like this. Taking a cross-section of society, I'd bet that 95% of the people wouldn't go to court over a speeding ticket when they knew they were speeding.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
6mph over? I would. Anyhow I doubt this is real I have friends that speed all the time on 80 / 81 and have yet to hear of any unusual activity.

·
Duck Tape Level
1,331 Posts
I haven't seen any unusual activity the last two days, but then I wasn't on any of those roads. 61, 222, 176, 422, and lots of back roads for 130 miles a day.

·
Duck Tape Level
1,331 Posts
I always check for that when I get emails but didn't think of it for this one! That puts this one to rest. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not only that but it's a myth that townships and states make money off speeding tickets. The time spent processing a ticket with the officer's time then the judge's time, and everyone in the office that has to process it, is never less then the ammount of the actual fine. Which is usually 30-60, the reason the ticket is so expensive is EMS CAT and a bunch of other things that get attached to the ticket.

Jeff

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
The CAT fund no longer exists .... but yet it is still on every ticket you get :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
David Hawkins said:
I think that members of this board are not a good statistical group for something like this. Taking a cross-section of society, I'd bet that 95% of the people wouldn't go to court over a speeding ticket when they knew they were speeding.
That is because the general public is dumb. Always fight the ticket. Make sure the cop did everything correctly, that's his job and it your right. I mean - would you accept a ticket where the cop siad "I think you were speeding so I'm writing you up for 15 over the limit"? I'm 2-0 when fighting and 0-2 not fighting.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
I just fought a ticket the cop downgraded to "failure to obey a traffic control device", supposedly he had me doing 42 in a 35 zone. Two continuances later, the cop never showed up and the prosecutor had no case against me.

Unfortunately on the way back from that I mistakenly ran a red and was cited for that, under the same "failure to obey a traffic control device".

The burden is on the state to prove your guilt, not you proving your innocence.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts