MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hay wasap everyone. my steering rack jus [email protected] up so i replaced it w/ a better condition one today. i have power steering. and i was thinking.. is it possible to jut put in a manual steering rack in.? i like the feel of manual steering better then p/s. n it would give me less trouble.

is it harder then it seems.?

thanx
jason mendieta

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mine was leaking.. and it made my car freakin woble at hi speeds.. =(.. freakin scary ____.. like it would woble left to right felt like the rear end was gana come out or sumin

·
Premium Member
14,333 Posts
Jason- It's not quite a drop-in solution.. and simply unplugging the rack won't give you true "manual" steering (not that you'd do that, but lots of people do, thinking it does).. you'd still be pushing hydraulic fluid around, plus the steering ratio is different from a manual rack/setup, so it'd be harder to turn anyway.

Manual racks are pretty easy to turn.. the 91T I picked up has manual steering and I was shocked how easy it moved the wheels (compared to Mk1 MR2s, which are heavy as sin when the car isn't moving). I still like the feel of power steering better.. it's mostly/completely shut off at higher speeds anyway, plus it's a shorter gear ratio, so you can actually turn the wheels faster than a manual rack.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
aww ic ic.. i was hoping it was jus as simple as.. drain fluids disconnect pump and drop in non power rack...

·
Registered
10,146 Posts
Man your cars been acting up on you lately, when i dropped by on monday i thought all was well....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts