MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 91 turbo a couple of years ago with 215k on it and now it has 224k miles. Within the last 6-8 months i've been having some overheating issue. Driving the car normal in the city is fine but when getting on boost for a little or 20-30 minutes of driving on the freeway, I pull off an on ramp and hit a red light my temp gauge start creeping up and almost reaching HOT in a matter of 20-30 seconds. The only way to bring the temp back down is to get on it and to get some air to cool the engine. I finally could not deal with it and took my car to a shop a week ago to bleed out the coolant and install new OEM thermostat. They also had a device to bleed the air in the cooling system (not sure how good it was). They said they checked the head gasket and said it was fine. I just ran my car yesterday just to take it for a drive and still the same thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was also hoping to see if anyone in this community has any references in San Jose Ca or the Bay Area for good shops that know about m2's that I can take my car to. I am hoping in the next few months or so to either have my motor rebuilt or get one swapped in with a tranny. I would also like to know input on rebuilding the original motor I have now with 224k or to get one swapped in with a tranny. Keep in mind I live CA so I have to worry about smog. Any help or input would be great.

·
Registered
7,589 Posts
First impression is that the radiator is either partially plugged or rad fan not operating. Have you unplugged the temp sensor in rad to make fans run full time?

If fan come on full time leave like that to see if problem is solved. Then you will at least know what area to target for repair.

jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have and made sure there is coolant in the tank. I'm thinking there might be air in lines. When the car needs to cool down either I get on it on straight away or I would have to make turns to also cool it down. I'm assuming the turns help the coolant get pushed through. I would really like to get the motor rebuilt and have all coolant line, vaccum lines etc replaced. I just dont know of any shops in San Jose ca or the bay area CA that has really worked on them. I would just swap it for a gen3 but still have to get it smog. Please let me know if you know anyone in you network that may happen to know someone who knows someone in my area that works on Mr2. Lol

·
Premium Member
11,975 Posts
.... I'm thinking there might be air in lines... I would really like to get the motor rebuilt and have all coolant line, vaccum lines etc replaced...
If you have a leak or residual air bubbles, you might want to deal with that while you still have a working engine, instead of packaging it in a bigger project. Air bubbles will move around, and if one gets into the head, then things can go to hell right quick.

·
Registered
448 Posts
San Jose Ca
It’s time you roll up your sleeves, get a copy of BGB and become an expert on the MR2. It’s gonna be hard finding an Expert MR2, mechanic per se. Other than a speed shop like Chico Racing, they’re specialized in MR2 in the Bay Area or just the repair shop.
3 yrs ago I only changed oil on my NA. Now I’m driving a turbo with Which I bought a donor turbo MR2 and transplanted the entire engine and interior into a hard top NA shell. I even spray painted it myself in my garage. It is a rewarding Experience after it’s done. This forum is a Treasure trove of information on how to work on MR2. If you gonna drive for a 30 year old car, you gotta get your hands dirty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts