MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, it looks like my time in the MR2 world is over. I was stuck in traffic tonight and forgot that my radiator fans don't come on (relay not installed..don't ask). It was dark and I was tired so I didn't notice the smoke until much later. Once I had some room on the highway to cool the radiator, I still got the temp gauge needle past H and the check engine light came on. I pulled over and let her cool for 10 mins. I tried to start her, but no luck so I had to get her towed home.

How can I check if my engine is done?

Sad day...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear that man. The same thing happened to me. If your head is blown, it would be cheaper to buy yourself a new engine for the car. For my rebuilding the head would have cost, I believe, $1600, a brand new engine, water pump, and thermostat, with labor ran me $1065. I got a JDM motor, with only 40,000 miles on it, and it runs beautifully. By the way it sound, the same thing happened to you as it happened to me. I would say that you dont even have to check to see if its dead. Just use this as an excuse to get a new motor :thumbup

·
Registered
225 Posts
Check the oil and coolant for contamination from one another. Compression test. Possibility it may come back to life, but chances are blew the HG and possbly warped mounting surfaces :mad: . Prolly going to have to go with a full rebuild. But, before you do that - fix your fans. Not sure why you thought it would be okay to run w/o them, maybe it just happened:lame: .

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got her to start up this morning. HG is shot as I got white smoke coming out quite a bit. I'll probably keep her until I can find a stock SC to replace it with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.