MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there reasonable chances that an out of state MKII turbo, with all stock emissions gear still in place (both cats, EGR, etc) and only an air intake and CT27, and in excellent running condition, would pass whatever tests would be required before getting Cali plates on the car in San Diego? Basically wondering if there was any "extra" smog gear on the Cali market cars that would not have been found on a MKII turbo from elsewhere....

·
Registered
9,051 Posts
no i dont think so... i got a federal car.. i dont know exactly where it came from but its not a california car.. i got one cat and one o2 sensor and when i went to test they punch it in or scan the bar code on the papers and itll say its a fed car and test it as it is.. they have less strict limits on federal cars i think

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yep I was checking into this myself as I was looking at a "NEW" Dodge SRT 10 but it was from Texas and unless the vechicle is manufactured specifically for California Emissions it can't be registered in California! Gee another reason cars are more expensive here in the land of take all you can get from them before they leave for Nevada! :thumbdown

Yes any car with more than 7500 miles can be registered in California but I was looking for a new one!

·
Registered
9,051 Posts
what are u talking about? i got a non california 93 mr2 NA and its registered here in california oo on top of that its in san francisco area which is enhanced area so its even more strict but hey i still pass.. its just when u take the smog test it may have a little more cushion for the passing limits

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Federal emmissions cars can be registered here as long as they have 7500 miles or more. As long as everything on it is healthy it should pass, they might be picky about the intake though.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
i dont think you will have issues with smog, i think you will have more issues on changing the title from out of state title to a california state title. but with smog there should be no problem

1 - 6 of 6 Posts