MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 turbo, 100% stock, except for 17 x 7.5 SSR forged wheels, Kumho Excsta MX 215/45 (35?) front,
17 x 8.5 SSR, Kumho Excsta MX 245/45 rear.

I am replacing bushings with urethane in the next two weeks. I have stock springs/struts.

I feel that the fronts ride too high (large fender gap). Rear is ok. Fronts are a little stiff as well.

I drive 95% street, and somewhat bad roads (here in Reno, NV). 5% autocross.

I will be upgrading to Koni yellow adjustable inserts real soon, and aftermarket sway bars, front and rear.

I would like a better ride than stock on the street, and about a 1" drop in the front. I would like better handling overall as well. My current opinion is that progressive springs such as Eibach sportlines will fit my needs, but I am unsure.

I would like opinions from people that went from stock to aftermarket springs and Koni yellows.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add some more info: In the near future, I plan to do either the 1mzfe swap, or the 1uzfe swap (Lowboost has one in progress in the V8 forum). EIther way, it appears the v6 or the v8 are 40 lbs lighter than the stock 3s GTE.

·
Top Secret MR2
2,767 Posts
I think using coilovers or spring and strut setups really wont be a factor with the lighter weight of the engine, if it was over 100 lbs then we would definately have a problem.

·
Top Secret MR2
2,767 Posts
thats a very scientific answer... but well...works! hahha

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At this point, I have settled on the Eibach pro kits. I figure, if I don't like 'em, I can sell 'em here on the board, as they seem to be very popular.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Agreed. Think about it what moves when the spring compresses during driving. It's not the car but the wheels and suspension. The only thing affected with more weight is the height of the car, but it should not be that much

·
Top Secret MR2
2,767 Posts
are you planning on swapping in a V6/V8?

·
1994 SMG N/A
3,197 Posts
I've driven an MR2 with Koni's and Pro-Kits and didn't like it at all. Maybe it's just me but I'm just putting in how it felt to me.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
they're just crap. really progressive, way too soft when you dont want them to be, way too hard when you dont want them to be. they're never right.. for how crappy they are, im surprised they're so popular.

the trd springs are about a bagillion times better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts