MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to lower my car, and all i have money for is springs, so my question is, what springs offer the best overall ride, is one spring more comfortable than the next, or are they all one in the same, so far my first choice is tein s. techs, any opinions, and pics would be appreciated, if you could show your ride height and name what springs they were

jared

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
If you have a 91 or 92 look for some one selling their 93 springs. You should get those dirt cheap. Thet hang onto the money you save and get some struts. Your struts are gonna be in way worse shape than your springs.

·
Registered
612 Posts
jvillain said:
If you have a 91 or 92 look for some one selling their 93 springs. You should get those dirt cheap. Thet hang onto the money you save and get some struts. Your struts are gonna be in way worse shape than your springs.
Do the 93 springs sit lower than the 91/92?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can i first get struts then, and put the stock springs on those, or how much would you say a total suspension change would be (springs and struts) or i am better off to get used coilovers

·
Registered
601 Posts
Struts and springs will be around $500-$700. Add another $150-$250 for professional installation and you are around $950.

$200-$250 for springs alone. most likely your shocks will blow in the next few months if they aren't blown already. $100-$150 for spring only installation. Then after your shocks blow you have to pay $150-$250 for the shock install. you can clearly see the downside to not replacing your shocks when you do your springs.

93+ springs lower the car approximately 3/8". Not worth removing the 91-92 springs if your goal is just lowering.

I recommend you save $$ for a few months and replace the springs and shocks at the same time, if your shocks are in good shape.

As for which springs give you the best ride. No one really knows. I have H&R springs and am very satisfied with my ride. Many people will disagree.

There are many other things that affect the ride quality besides springs. Tire size, shock selection and sway bars to name a few.

john
91T

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I agree. Focus more on your shock selection when looking for ride quality. You can have the softest springs, but w/ stiff shocks it won't even matter. As for the softest shocks, I would say they are Koni's but ur paying nearly twice as much for them. In all honesty, for college student like me, it's not worth it. I'm saving right now just as the guys said. I'm going with Eibach Sportline springs because they are very soft and lower the car about 1.6" which is pretty darn low, and they are cheap! (b/c they are made for the street not racing.) And from posting threads and asking questions, I have concluded that I wanted Tokico shocks because they are much cheaper than the Koni's but a little more stiff, yet much softer than the KYB's for a little more money (and they have a lifetime warranty).

·
1994 SMG N/A
3,196 Posts
Getting strut inserts/shocks and springs at the same time will save you a lot of time. I did mine by myself...took me two days because I couldn't get the gland nuts off so I had to wait the next day and buy a 6" table vise and 18" pipe wrench to tear that thing off (I hope you're prepared). This is the first time I've ever done suspension on an MR2 and I hated it =). I think the next time I change my suspension, I'll either get full on shocks instead of strut inserts or coilovers. Right now my car is sitting on some RS-R race springs and Tokico Illumina shocks. I've gotta say that the ride is a whole lot softer than I had expected. 201lb/in in front and 346lb/in rear with shocks settings at 3 in front and 5 in the rear. From the RS-R catalog I read, it drops MR2's 0.8" in the front and 1" in the rear. I don't know if they're referring to 91-92 or 93+ though. All I know is that I don't usually have to stop, slow down, and swerve for dips and bumps =D.

·
Registered
601 Posts
1ofthesedays said:
This is the first time I've ever done suspension on an MR2 and I hated it =). I think the next time I change my suspension, I'll either get full on shocks instead of strut inserts or coilovers.
It took me about 8 hours to do mine the first time, and I had someone experienced coaching me.

Now i can do all four shocks/springs in 2-3 hours. It is easier once you have the right tools and a little bit of experience doing it.

john
91T

·
1994 SMG N/A
3,196 Posts
I had both volumes of the bgb with me but didnt have the proper tools. I ended up having to quit for the night and wait for the next morning to buy the tools I needed; and even then I had trouble because I had no secure place to mount the vise. I had to use some creativity to do it all.

The tools I used to do the Tokico and RS-R install were...
a floor jack
jack stands
a regular metric tool set
a 14mm for the brake lines and the nuts holding the strut to the body
an 18mm for the steering knuckle (i used the biggest ratchet i could find and my makeshift breaker bar (handle from jack))
a 19mm (better to have a deep socket one) for the top of the strut
a spring compressor
a vise ( I bought a 6" vise for just under 60 bucks at Home Depot) Mount it! It'll save you lots of time.
some lightweight oil (recommended by Tokico for better heat transfer)
i think a 5mm allen wrench/hex key if the nut on the sway bar endlink doesn't want to come off (stick the allen wrench in the socket and take a 12mm or 14mm, i don't remember, and just loosen that thing off.)
a torque wrench...i used one from Craftsman ...25-250ft/lbs
and an oil pan

these were the tools for my uninstall/install. if you have ABS on your car than you might need more...but my car wasn't equipped with ABS so I don't know.

If you're getting them soon then good luck. It'll be quite a learning experience. Make sure everything is seated correctly or you might have to re-do everything. There's a link to a pictorial on the board. Just look at one of the stickies at the top of this forum. Don't forget to re-align your car after you drop it.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
It's really not a hard job to do. If you can't wait to get the shocks/struts just throw the springs on anyway. I can count 8 bolts per front side and 7 rear that you have to take off. I do it without spring compressors, but you can rent those if you'd like. It took just over an hour to do it. Just make sure you've got the rite tools.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Dubk said:
It's really not a hard job to do. If you can't wait to get the shocks/struts just throw the springs on anyway. I can count 8 bolts per front side and 7 rear that you have to take off. I do it without spring compressors, but you can rent those if you'd like. It took just over an hour to do it. Just make sure you've got the rite tools.
How did you do without a spring compressor? I thought it was a necessity.

·
Registered
601 Posts
mr2crazed said:
How did you do without a spring compressor? I thought it was a necessity.
Not necessary but recommended. The stock strut is lightly loaded. Therefore, there is some potential to shoot the top mount off, but can be controlled if you do it right.

Most of the replacement springs are not loaded at all, so you would only need the compressor for the uninstall, not the install.

Also, you can borrow these tools for free from autozone and some other parts places. That would be my recommendation.

John
91T

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
If you have a 91 or 92, buy the 93 bump stops. This will give you more travel on the suspension when you hit a hard bump. Some people cut some off the 91/92 to make it shorter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts