MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
sorry for the long post, but some serious problems have come up and i need some help. I was on my way to school and was boosting in 4th gear, nothing major maybe 10 psi, and my engine light came on. 4-5 sec later my car died. So im coasting and as soon as i got below 3k rpm the car took off again. as soon as i hit 4k rpm it died, I did thiss till i got off the highway. I pulled over and tried starting it and it would start but if it stayed under 1k rpm for more then 2 sec it would die. So I finally get to a exit and get off the highway and pull over. All these cars kept honking at me and pointing but i thought they were yelling at me to get off the road, well, a cop pulled over and told me i was shooting a 2.5 foot flame out my exhaust.....was like, you got to be kidding (plus he asked me if i was running nitrous). So he has me pull off to this other side street and when i started the car i could see the flame reflecting off his car, this thing was massive, was easy 2.5-3 feet long. Also, my turbo is making a really really loud hissing sound, im talking a "not normal hissing sound". so i called AAA and had them tow my car to my school, mechanic school, and he said it wasnt shooting flames out but was smoking bad, im talking thick black smoke. so i get it to school and drive it around back, it is hesitating incredably bad and barely runs till i hit about 1.5k rpm then it takes off.

I removed all my emissions a few days ago but replaced them with plates. My turbo wont boost past 16 psi as the wastegate is messed up. It would boost strong then hit 16 psi and stop. other then that. Ill put some scan tools on it tomorrow and see what codes it throws, thank god i got a shop to work at....anyone have any ideas? I talked to my buddy with a TT stealth and said his did the same thing when his rear turbo blew. Think my turbo kicked the bucket or its something else major? I didnt get a chance to get codes today so I dont know anything yet, but I hope its a really messed up turbo.

Also, I checked all the hoses and everythign is connected up and looks good. Visually you couldnt tell anything is wrong.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Have you pulled the air intake off to see if the turbo has a lot of shaft play? That would be one place to start. If you are burning a lot of oil it is likely either the turbo or possibly piston rings. The flames sure make it sound like a running rich problem however, but it may be a combination of fuel related problems to make it run that rich. If you get any more info post it so the problem can be narrowed down a bit more.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would piston rings go for no reason? i drive the car maybe 2-3 times a month and im really nice to her when i do.

·
Registered
633 Posts
after sitting does it start right up or is thier alot of cranking followed by black smoke?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it starts right up, but smokes alot, smells incredably rich too.after driving it for a few min the smoke stops, thought it was just cause of the cold start. but the smoke is a grey misty color, now its a thick black smog.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
didnt get a chance today, ill be getting the codes tomorrow, was just seeing if anyone has incountered anything like this.

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
doh! ... I hope that is all it is for you.

Maybe you just lucked out and were running pig rich. *whew*

·
Registered
633 Posts
well, i know when i unplug my MAF it starts and stalls everytime. I hope thats all it was for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts