MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
My problem just started a couple days ago. I am hearing a noise that sounds like something around the left rear wheel area is rubbing or creaking when I am driving. I'm not sure what it is. It's only really noticeable when I'm going 5-10 mph, because it is proportional to wheel speed. Sounds like something rubbing once for everytime the wheel makes a revolution? At speed, the noise seems to disappear, but at a slow roll, it's obnoxious. At first I thought it was my tire rubbing, but that wouldn't make any sense because it seems to be rubbing only once per revolution, and if it was my tire, it should be rubbing the whole time.

I had a friend drive it and I've had people listen to it, and it sounds like a spring more than anything. It sounds like a spring is groaning or creaking. Once again, I'm totally stumped as to why this would happen proportional to wheel speed.
Anyone heard of anything like this? Any ideas? It even seems that when I'm barely rolling, the car seems to almost kinda shift when I hear the noise. Very strange.

Somebody please help me out with this - I'm STUMPED!

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
possibly wheel bearings

·
Registered
268 Posts
MOUSE IN THE HOUSE

hehe no really if you have aftermarket swaybars it could be that . i installed trd sway bars and my car squeeks real bad now take a look at the swaybar and endlinks. or it could be brake related a high spot on a rotor at slow speed could cause a squeek then it would dsisappear at speeds .

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow thanks for the responses after like... 3 minutes lol.

IDeeZ INuTz, I thought the same thing. But would a wheel bearing make a groaning sound just once per every revolution? Perhaps you could enlighten me - I'm a suspension IDIOT.

darkling, no aftermarket swaybars. Complete stock suspension. Good suggestion on the rotor, I actually considered that as well. Anyway I can tell for sure?

·
Registered
175 Posts
i had a scraping noise after my swap..i thought it was a brake problem...but it ended up that i bent the plate behind the disc when reinstalling the disc....all i did is bend it back

·
Rocket Scientist
1,698 Posts
Just a thought, it might help to put the rear of the car up on jackstands, put it in 1st and at idle/low throttle see if you can reproduce the noise. Might be a lot easier to locate the source of the sound with the car up on jackstands compared to driving down the street.

-Stephen M

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
i'm having the same problem too... but my is a clicking noise, the faster i go the faster its clicking, but when i slow down to almost a stop, i can't hear the noice anymore... its not coming from the engine cause i can rev it up and there's no clicking, only when i'm driving...

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the input everyone. I'm gonna pull the wheel and check my rotor.. if I can't isolate it, I'm gonna put it up on jackstands and drive it and have a friend check it out.
Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Lowlife, you most likely have a bad CV joint which will require you change the axle. JM, it sounds like a wheel bearing going bad. A bad bearing will make a groaning sound. The best way to check the bearing is to remove the knuckle(the bearing is pressed into this) and spin the bearing by hand, however this require some fair amount of work and may affect the camber angle of your rear alignment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts