MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
Joined
·
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What you see in pics below is JDM 2nd Gen (93) 3SGTE installed in an 88 chassis. Notable items:
* ST205 IC
* ST205 BOV used (adapted for free "floating" mouting)
* USDM EGR hardware added (head passages drilled out)
* Celica All-trac alternator location used
* DIY throttle cable bracket
* Mazda (gasp!) 1st gen RX-7 coolant overflow bottle


View from driver's side.


Passenger side.

Bigger view of LH Engine side (1024x768)

Exhaust w/ my terrible welding skills exposed :p

The exhaust is 2.5" throughout. Other items of interest: CT20B turbo, KO downpipe, Supra fuel pump, ATS bored fuel rail. Since I can't drive it yet - pending sorting out of front suspension - I thought I'd at least post some pics.
 

·
MR2-less
Joined
·
9,855 Posts
Sweet!!! :)
What a beautiful sight!

Man, I'm getting all excited about finally pulling the 3SGTE from my parts car now. Bought a new engine hoist this week, my 3SGTE gasket kit came this week also and my KO downpipe greeted my on the front porch yesterday when I got home from work.
If it wasn't for these long hours I've been working I could get alot more done!
 

·
Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
Joined
·
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that's the ST205 a/w core. Notice the timing belt change sticker? That's when I was refreshing the seals and whatnot on my used 3sgte with it sitting on the engine stand. It's been quite a while... course I've been sidetracked with MK2 suspension and brake issues... and waiting for jig from Carl.
 

·
Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
Joined
·
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You da man, Bill. Toysport scrounged up my bracket out of their junk yard, and I'm not really sure what gen Celica it came from. I had to do some grinding to get it to clear the 93+ 9-bolt exhaust manifold. It also didn't have the integral engine lifting hook, but did have a threaded hole allowing temporary attachment of a hook - so no problem there.
 

·
MR2-less
Joined
·
9,855 Posts
JimKing said:
You da man, Bill. Toysport scrounged up my bracket out of their junk yard, and I'm not really sure what gen Celica it came from. I had to do some grinding to get it to clear the 93+ 9-bolt exhaust manifold. It also didn't have the integral engine lifting hook, but did have a threaded hole allowing temporary attachment of a hook - so no problem there.
Jim, did you use the MKII alternator or the Celica one?
 

·
Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
Joined
·
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used a Celica one (Toyota rebuild - 70amp IIRC) that I got from the Toyota Motorsports Parts program. I had to remove the heat shield that covers the back of it to clear the dipstick and oil filter install/removal path. It comes with an 8" intermediate harness that plugs into the alternator. This isn't compatible with the MR2 harness connector, so I chopped both off an put on my own waterproof 3-conductor connector from an electronics store.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
386 Posts
thats a brand spanking new motor...how clean is that..jeez..puts mine to shame..
very nice install..imho w2a is the way to go..
we need more pics though..lots more..
 

·
MR2-less
Joined
·
9,855 Posts
JimKing said:
I used a Celica one (Toyota rebuild - 70amp IIRC) that I got from the Toyota Motorsports Parts program. I had to remove the heat shield that covers the back of it to clear the dipstick and oil filter install/removal path. It comes with an 8" intermediate harness that plugs into the alternator. This isn't compatible with the MR2 harness connector, so I chopped both off an put on my own waterproof 3-conductor connector from an electronics store.
THanks. Looks like I need to do some junkyard hopping when I have some time off.


PapaL said:
thats a brand spanking new motor...how clean is that..jeez..puts mine to shame..
very nice install..imho w2a is the way to go..
we need more pics though..lots more..
For real! I think Jim is going for best MK1.5 at NA2005. :)
Is that even a category? :)
 

·
Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
Joined
·
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
kirkosaurus said:
Have you fabbed up the front and rear mounts yet?
You mean the engine mounts? Yeah - pretty much just like in Carl's write-up. Cut, cut, cut & weld, weld, weld, then black spray paint. I've driven the car on local streets just putting around - which is all that was safe to do with the wacked out front suspension settings I started with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,767 Posts
thats the cleanest 1.5 install ive ever seen,apart from mine of course :D

seriously though thats an awesome conversion,one of the very best.
 

·
Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
Joined
·
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jackqdeezn said:
I'm curious, where did you find the ST205 parts?
In the MK2 for sale section on this board. The TB inlet is a modified ST185 piece.
 

·
Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
Joined
·
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Pat Signorino said:
How is the BOV setup? Free floating? You made an adapter to fit it into that position?
Yeah, the ST205 BOV is designed to mount onto the air box or something. It has a two wide set plastic "feet" with holes for bolting it down. The nipple on that side is only about 1/4" long, with an o-ring. I cut the feet off, removed the o-ring and used some 1.75" aluminum tubing I had laying around to extend it a few inches. I cut the bottom part of the OEM MR2 BOV-to-intake pipe off and inserted that into the aluminum tubing. I dimpled it for a snug fit, then bonded it with JB weld. The hose from the IC to the BOV is a chunk of random MK1 radiator hose (I think part of the hose that goes from the filler neck to the oil cooler.
By free-floating, I mean the BOV itself is not bolted to anything. But with the lower ("outlet") pipe clamped in place on the intake, and the IC-BOV hose clamped in place, it's not going anywhere.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top