MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very religious about letting my 92T warm up and cool down. but today I was thinking... I'm just guessing how long the car needs, without knowing if I'm right or not. correct me if i'm wrong, but the point of warming up is to let the oil reach normal operating temperature so the turbo isn't damaged when boosting. what if I were to install an oil temperature gauge by the turbo, so I would know exactly when I'm ready to boost in the morning? and if this works, also monitoring oil temp during cool down so I can avoid running the engine longer than necessary? would this work? has anyone tried it?

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Oil temp tracks coolant temp. And the ECU already has a program to limit boost until the engine comes to full operating temp.

Just follow Toyota's recommendatin for cooldown.

No need for another gauge.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Bill is right...

Now let me give you my foolish data: I placed a temp sensor on the return side of the turbo - it takes about 5-8mi of driving for the temp sensor to get up to 180*F. I dont boost during this warmup time (despite the fact that the oil is slow in warming up the temp sensor I rigged up). I have seen turbo outlet temp reach as high as 280*F during track sessions, and once while driving through the mountains. Normal driving will take oil temp to ~230-240 range. Under normal conditions I use turbo timer for 90 sec, but generally dont see temp fall by a whole lot. After track driving/mountain driving I'll let the turbo timer go for 5min until oil temp reaches 240 or lower. Probably just boils down to following Toyota recommendation. Final word: dont let us discourage you from conducting science (or pseudo science) experiments!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts