MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone's oil preference for the 2gr-fe?

I have seen 0w20, 0w30 and 5w30 all recommended.

Obviously our application is summer months and high revving.

Favorite brands?

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Klotz oil with high ZDDP. i use 5w30 in this motor when i abuse it but that's just the lightest oil they make otherwise i may consider something a bit lighter.

Note that you should not use a large amount of ZDDP additive in a motor that has a catalytic converter.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Shell Rotella T6 5w40

5w40 is what Lotus recommends for the 2gr in the Evora and I figure our use case is closer to that than Toyota's offerings. Also as a 'diesel' oil it has more ZDDP than car oils though not as much as a racing oil. YMMV and everyone has an option on oil.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
There's really no info there to make a judgement call one way or another. But i will relate information that was given to me by an oil guy that is likely true but i don't have enough info to confirm. Motors were made to use 0w20 not because they need such a light oil but because 0w20 cannot be made with conventional base oils and some of the synthetic oil bases out there. By calling for 0w20 it was a way to require synthetic without violating the magnuson moss warranty act. That's a big part of why none of the race oil companies really make a 0w20, it really has no need to exist beyond that reason and people racing their cars don't care about the warranty.

It's also significantly more expensive than the stuff that I've found that works for me so i do not plan on changing. I'm happy putting 5w30 in a motor that calls for 0w20.

But i really have no way to say how amazing or terrible it is based on their website.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Semi-off topic but I thought the super light weight oils were also/have also been more recently recommended due to fuel economy/eco reasons? Don't want to open a can of worms here (I guess that's what BITOG is for!), but merely a question from those more knowledgeable than myself

1 - 7 of 7 Posts