MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MR2-less
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Haynes manual says to apply RTV sealant to both sides of the oil pump gasket but the BGB doesn't mention it, it just says to apply the gasket.
When I pulled the oil pump off I noticed it has RTV sealant on both sides of the gasket but it also had major oil leaks all around the oil pump area.

To seal or not to seal, that is the question! :)

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
Seal but don't use too much. Make sure there is no access sealant left on the inside of oil pump. It may get loose and clog up your oil routes.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
I try to keep RTV as far as possible from the inner workings of the oil gallery. I use it on the pan and on the corners of the cam covers - only (and I prefer Hondabond on the cam covers and Permatex Ultra Copper on the pan).

Short answer - gasket only; and OEM at that.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
Ummm . . . no, but I'll go measure one. Back in a few.

Yup. 12x1.25.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
+1 for NO RTV on the Toyota gasket

·
Registered
881 Posts
A new, high quality gasket between two parts that are not warped, will not need sealant. I think that using RTV to build up motors is a mistake unless the skin is ultra thin, no chance of creating a "worm" when the parts are torqued, which can literally swim somewhere else......sometime. I like Yamabond 5 applied sparingly. RTV just doesn't have the best consistency for gaskets under pressure. Just my .00002

1 - 10 of 10 Posts