MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems as if its leaking but what baffles me the most is that i replaced this last year along with the cam and crank seals, basically a full timing belt change. All oem parts.

Torqued the oil pump housing to spec as well.
Premature failure or am I just unlucky?
I did find the oe torque specs were a bit loose as its basically hand tight but i didnt pay it much mind back then as thats what the bgb said.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim Bumper

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,613 Posts
A new oil pump seal shouldn't leak for years if installed correctly. Could you have got the torque spec number mixed up - they are listed in 3 different units in the BGB. The M6 bolts in for the oil pump don't have a very high value, but it should be a lot more than "hand tight".

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A new oil pump seal shouldn't leak for years if installed correctly. Could you have got the torque spec number mixed up - they are listed in 3 different units in the BGB. The M6 bolts in for the oil pump don't have a very high value, but it should be a lot more than "hand tight".
I checked and 1 bolt was a bit loose higher up. Everything else was good. Started it and let it warm up for a bit and started oozing after about 10 minutes from the same spot in the image.

Puzzled now

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo, '20 BRZ
264 Posts
Based on the leakage, it would have to either come from the oil pump gear seal, or the gasket between oil pump and body. I've never seen a problem in either area, since those come installed with the replacement pump. If tightening bolts didn't improve, then either that groove gasket of the oil seal was pinched (when they put it together) or that pump gear seal is gone. Probably need to remove the cover to find out... though a gear seal leak is more likely to fling oil on the timing belt....

One thing I've noticed, inspecting "old stock - new parts" is some have been on the shelves a LOOONG TIME such that it's impacted the flexibility seals.

Automotive tire Rim Bicycle part Motor vehicle Wheel
Product Font Circle Auto part Metal

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Based on the leakage, it would have to either come from the oil pump gear seal, or the gasket between oil pump and body. I've never seen a problem in either area, since those come installed with the replacement pump. If tightening bolts didn't improve, then either that groove gasket of the oil seal was pinched (when they put it together) or that pump gear seal is gone. Probably need to remove the cover to find out... though a gear seal leak is more likely to fling oil on the timing belt....

One thing I've noticed, inspecting "old stock - new parts" is some have been on the shelves a LOOONG TIME such that it's impacted the flexibility seals.

View attachment 81452 View attachment 81453
Replaced the pump gear seal as well when I did the timing belt. Everything infront the engine was replaced.

I never replaced the oil pump. Just refreshed the entire engine with new seals and gaskets. It could be that it's pinched but I should have noticed that when I was installing the new gasket.

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,613 Posts
If the oil pump housing (on left in pic above) is still installed on the engine, then the "spaghetti" seal would be more prone to come out of it's groove when installing the pump body. I've actually only installed the seal when the pump housing was also off the engine, and hence horizontal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the oil pump housing (on left in pic above) is still installed on the engine, then the "spaghetti" seal would be more prone to come out of it's groove when installing the pump body. I've actually only installed the seal when the pump housing was also off the engine, and hence horizontal.
I think this is what happened last year because I remember it kept jumping out of its groove but i thought i got it eventually....guess not

Will change the seal out. You all use fipg as well on the perimeter of the front housing or just depend on the seal alone?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts