MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has some oil troubles like most of yours...But today I got tired of it and went out to degrease and see if I could make some progress in finding the leaks.

First the oil pan gasket is leaking, I can not find the partnumber for just the indivual gasket and I cant find it on partznet...I dont want to get the whole gasket kit.

Second and the biggie...Oil started to burn off the flex pipe..So I got under the car and looked. Oil everywhere, Its going on the axle and its spraying it everywhere...

I cleaned things up, and just for kicks (and because Ive read about it a lot on here) I took off the dizzy cap....

Then Inside the cap:

So I guess I need to get a new distributer? Or just the O-Ring? I need the partnumber for just the Oring if that should fix it...

Heres under the car:

I cleaned all that up today as best as I could in the cold..

Continued...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is that hose, its under the distributer so im not sure if the oil came from it or the dizzy....

Finally this is what It looks like under the dizzy with the cap on...Notice the oil pooling on the tranny...

The other problem I think I understand..

Oil is leaking from the hotpipe veryslowly and going down the turbo, I guess I need a catchcan to put on that hose from the valvecover back into the intake, there was oil in the intake piping but the turbo is fine (pretty much brand new)...If im wrong and my turbo is fubar, let me know..

I have no idea where else that oil would be coming from.

Basicially, I need the gasket for the oil pan + dizzy O ring (or do I need to get the whole $400 thing from partznet?) and some kind of catchcan?

Please let me know so I can get parts asap!

Thanks,

-Chris

PS: sorry about the long post

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
The oil pan's gasket is a liquid gasket. I think it's called tpeg or something (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) just call Toyota and they have it in tubes. An autoparts store might be cheaper.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Oil pan is a FIPG. "Form In Place Gasket". Basically pull the pan (be careful if you have oil sensor on it!), clean off old gasket well from surfaces, put this goo around the edge, put it back!

I hate that stuff but that is what Toyota uses!

Cheers,
8J2_93T

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sab0276 said:
Get the Kbox distrubuter repair kit from TwosRus.com

-Scott

Thanks!! I knew there was somewhere to get the rings with out the whole kit...Just ordered it.

Now Theres still that one question...

Catch can?

-Chris

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Usually, the shaft seal in the distributor gets cooked and starts leaking. Excessive blow by will make that worse. I see more potential for harm than good on the catch can.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already orderd the rebuilt kit and plan on doing that the day I get it...

As for the catch can, Would it be a good idea after I do that?

Thanks,

-Chris

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
That looks like my engine bay. I'll be doing the Kbox rebuild kit, but will also be doing the valve cover gaskets while I'm in there. Then I'll take the Scunci Steamer to it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
hey chris if you search on the forum you can find a way to make one. A lot of people have posted how to make one from just home depot parts and pretty cheap to, i think right around $25

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
That looks exactly like my engine about a month ago. Since then I had to replace the oil cooler o-rings(3) a frozen relief valve, valve cover gaskets(2) w/ new allen head bolts, new turbo oil cooler elbow, resealed the oil pan and replaced a leaking/cracked distributor.

Inspite of over $500 in parts, the part I hated the most was scraping/removing all the filthy oil that was everywhere.

Good luck with your mission if you choose to accept it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
olivenone said:
That looks exactly like my engine about a month ago. Since then I had to replace the oil cooler o-rings(3) a frozen relief valve, valve cover gaskets(2) w/ new allen head bolts, new turbo oil cooler elbow, resealed the oil pan and replaced a leaking/cracked distributor.

Inspite of over $500 in parts, the part I hated the most was scraping/removing all the filthy oil that was everywhere.

Good luck with your mission if you choose to accept it.

I accept it with 4 cans of brake degreaser stuff...Its like god in a can...

-Chris

·
Registered
818 Posts
not to kill the post, but off topic....in the 4th pic, the T-VSV is the dark blue plastic canister on the bottom left correct?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts