MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
freddysmr2 said:
can someone tell me how come there is oil on the tip on the spark plugs??
Don't panic, it may just be a leaky valve cover gasket, also I recomend the two's are us bolt set they are awesome.

·
I aint afraid of no boost
4,550 Posts
The valve cover gasket can leak, allowing oil to get in the spark plug wells, When you pull the plug, the oil travels downward and drips off the tip of the plug, making it appear that your plugs are getting all of that oil from inside the motor. If there really was oil in the combustion chamber, then it would BURN along with the gasoline and appear differently. It wouldn't look "wet".

The best solution to fixing a leaky valve cover gasket is to replace the gasket (of course) AND replace the screws with BOLTS. 2S R US sells a replacement bolt set.

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
freddysmr2 said:
(I recomend the two's are us bolt set they are awesome. )

I really dont understand this??
the phillips head screws that hold down the valve cover are not up to par. Two's r us sell hexbolts (with appropriate allen key) to replace these bolts to properly torque them down. You can take your old ones to lowes or other hardware store and get some there too, but it's just more convenient to just buy a package without having to go out and source them. Plus shipping is very quick from them so it' snot like it'll save time unless you wanted to do it right here, right now.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
NoShoes said:
The valve cover gasket can leak, allowing oil to get in the spark plug wells, When you pull the plug, the oil travels downward and drips off the tip of the plug, making it appear that your plugs are getting all of that oil from inside the motor. If there really was oil in the combustion chamber, then it would BURN along with the gasoline and appear differently. It wouldn't look "wet".

The best solution to fixing a leaky valve cover gasket is to replace the gasket (of course) AND replace the screws with BOLTS. 2S R US sells a replacement bolt set.
How about there is oil in only one spark plug?!?
JDMR2TT

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Bumping this again. Does anyone know if the Turbo & N/A Models have the same spark plug tube seals?

-Aaron

·
Registered
417 Posts
I heard somewhere that oil in the sparkplug wells can also be because the valve guides are leaking... now 100% positive jus tryin to remember what I heard :thumbup

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
jerzefigga said:
niether have tube seals.
Uh the little round piece of plastic that go around the tube?

What are they called then?

-Aaron

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Um no. They were $3 a piece from Toyota Dealership. They go right under the huge like 30mm screws for the valve cover(of 5sfe).

-Aaron

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
no one?

·
OT postho
1,361 Posts
It's funny to find this thread that was recent after I changed my plugs today. This is exactly what I found.

Just to make sure I understand, if it is the gasket and it's replaced then I should be okay. When someone says "don't panic" does that mean there is no real engine harm done? I have no idea how long they have been like this but I haven't noticed it using any oil or anything.

And for those that ask, yes I do have an MR2 and yes occasionally I do maintenance on it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts