MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I need your opinions on my oil loss problem as the results are going to determine in which order I try fixing things.

Quick history I had JE pistons fitted along with some HKS cams, I ran the engine in for 1000 miles with regular oil changes and all seemed well, no obvious loss of oil. I am still on low boost around 1 bar on a TD06 but now loosing about 2 pints / 1 litre of oil every week around 500 miles (maybe less). I have now done around 3k on my engine.

On tickover there is no obvious signs of smoke
High revs with engine under no load ? no signs of smoke
Normal off boost driving ? no signs of smoke.
As soon as the engine gets load and you hear the turbo start to spool ? lots and lots of dark blue/black smoke. The turbo doesn?t sound any different and it is still creating boost easily

So what do you guys think I should do first

New Piston rings with a new hone on the block
Turbo rebuild
Valve stem oil seals
Other ideas? Please let me know if you have any

Thanks

paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,287 Posts
Paul,

Do you have the support of the machine shop that bored the block? Usually, reputable shops will help diagnose such problems. I would suggest you begin with a good cylinder leakage test, if the shop will not help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Byron said:
Paul,

Do you have the support of the machine shop that bored the block? Usually, reputable shops will help diagnose such problems. I would suggest you begin with a good cylinder leakage test, if the shop will not help.
not really, They just bored it to the spec sheet on the pistons, I did check it before i fitted them and it was spot on.

i'm a bit unclear to what you mean by cylinder leakage test, do you mean check the compresision or something else.

thanks

paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i must admit you have got me thinking now after reading that other thread. I had just about convinced myself it was the turbo as it only does it when boosting. I thought if it was the rings then it would do it at high revs but i guess not. Looks like i need to do some checking


thanks

paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
your rings might not be sealing, however, you said it don't get smoke at idle and its blueish black correct? hmmm a quart of oil is alot for only 250 miles of driving. Did you get any head work done, or just the block. Could be worn out, valve seals, or somthing with the head. I would get that thing looked at
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,993 Posts
Hey Paul

Where abouts in the north east are you? I had the same oil burning problem as you and once I got the head off I found oil pouring down the valves, but it only burnt it under hard boosting.

Graeme
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
^Trickster^ said:
Hey Paul

Where abouts in the north east are you? I had the same oil burning problem as you and once I got the head off I found oil pouring down the valves, but it only burnt it under hard boosting.

Graeme
You should know, you've been to my house in hartlepool :)

I let you try my wastegate when you where having boost problems :smile:


paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,993 Posts
LOL forgot your user name on here!

Did you replace the valve stem oil seals when you did the engine? My machine shop did mine, and it still burnt oil so i assumed it was the rings, bought everything to rebuild it and when i pulled the engine they were still leaking. I had used a cheap version of the seals from partco which others had used without problem.

I bought the originals from toyota and they were 85 pounds for 16, apparently they are a pain to fit without the proper tool, so i think they may of fitted a couple badly again, as i do burn a slight ammount of oil, but nothing to reall worry about.

My wastegate creeps to 1.7bar at redline in 5th lol, going to pull it all off and fit a 44 or 50mm wastegate when i have time!

Graeme
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^Trickster^ said:
LOL forgot your user name on here!

Did you replace the valve stem oil seals when you did the engine? My machine shop did mine, and it still burnt oil so i assumed it was the rings, bought everything to rebuild it and when i pulled the engine they were still leaking. I had used a cheap version of the seals from partco which others had used without problem.

I bought the originals from toyota and they were 85 pounds for 16, apparently they are a pain to fit without the proper tool, so i think they may of fitted a couple badly again, as i do burn a slight ammount of oil, but nothing to reall worry about.

Graeme
The seals are the only thing i never replaced :(

I guess its a good place to start looking, did you need to take the head off before you could see they where leaking? It would be nice if i could see something before i pull the head off.

Any ideas what this tool looks like for putting them in? mayeb have to bodge something together that will work

cheers

paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,993 Posts
Ive never carried out any head work, wish i did now tho lol.

You can pull the manifolds off and look at the valves, i saw it coming down the inlet valves but moreso on the exhaust valves as they are carbon'd up and the wet oil is realy noticable.

Graeme
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top