MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys... I just Filled my brand new motor (rebuilt) with oil, and there is a problem.

Here's the specifics.

4AGZE, non oil-cooler pan, no oil filter sandwhich assembley, no oil cooler.
Dipstick is from a JDM AW11 GZE.

I put in 3.5 qts and the reading on the dipstick is like 1.5" above Full!!!!!!

This was a dry fill... The motor has not been started yet.. but I don't think that the oil filter would take in that much oil.

The motor is mounted level with all 4 mounts bolted up.

I am thinking maybe I have the wrong dipstick tube?????

Any pics or info anyone????

Marco

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
Gee I get to help you a bit. I'm not sure on your combination but I do no that you are suppost to match the dipstick with the pan. This seemed to be a common problem on the J-spec swaps(GZE's) on the mailing list.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmmm.... the pan is the same as the ae92 (at least the JDM ones)... Well I orederd the 89 SC oil dipstick and guide.. I will bring my old one with me tomorrow to see if there are any differences... I think the guide is supposed to be longer.

We'll see..

Anyone want to go measure their's for me ;)

Marco

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks andy! off to measure it later this evening. I hope it's different.. that would explain a ton... LOL.

Marco

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I just measured the dip stick in my 89SC and it's 12 7/8'th inches from the tip to the stop point. The "full" mark is 1 1/4 inch long from the tip.
My 88SC has a "crook" in the yellow handle, while the 89 is straight? Don't mean to hijack your thread, but does anyone know if they are supposed to be different, or do I have the wrong one in my 88SC? (might explain some of my smoke issues). Edit: I just measured the dip stick in the 88SC and, except for the crook in the handle, it's identical.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Measured:

Dipstick = 12 7/8"
guide = 6 5/16"

Looks like I found my problem. The guide (tube) is 2 1/8" too short.

Getting the new one tomorrow.

Marco

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW Great job guys the quick responses and good info show what a valuable resource we have here (the board & community).

Marco

1 - 8 of 8 Posts