MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'93 MR2 MkII turbo. Oil leaks but gets sprayed out the engine cover (very slightly, but messy).
What could be leaking? Valve cover? Turbo? How do you figure that out? Car is going in for a new clutch soon and I'd like to get this fixed at the same time.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Wish I had a solid answer for you. I had my valve cover gasket and distributor changed first, then oil pan gasket. Finally saved up enough to do the oil pump seals. The mechanic dropped the engine for this and did they timing belt, water pump, all other seals they could do with engine out. Needless to say after being without my car for months and paying a lot of money my car still leaks. Mechanic now thinks it is the return line from the turbo?

I'm beyond frustrated to say the least. I'm waiting for him to get my car back in he said he'd look at it and fix the return line at no cost. (who knows if that's the problem) Should have just done the V6 swap. to much invested now, hopefully we can find an answer. and hopefully you have better luck than I.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What engine cover are you referring to? The timing belt cover? At least show us a picture of where the oil is coming from.
The lid that covers the whole engine and has vent slots. I don't know where the oil comes from; it's not a major leak at all. I rarely add oil between changes. It does make the engine cover lid and the area around that dirty though.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I think photos will help. There are a handful of places these can leak from and we can help pinpoint it. The caveat being that oil can be sprayed/slung around which can make it difficult to find. Having said that I can't think of a leak that would sling to the underside of the engine lid.

The best way is to clean everything down really well then look at the usual culprits. If that doesn't identify the leak, then you can use UV dye in the oil, run the car for a short period, then examine for a leak using a black-light and glasses. I have found this to be pretty effective, but I would try the other method first.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Update, got the car back and mechanic said it was the oil pan seal that was leaking. Apparently when the re did it a section didn't seal properly. Seem odd to me but of course when I got home and put a fresh cardboard under the car I have oil drips. I don't believe it is residual at this point but I'll continue to monitor it and hope it magically disappears. Very discouraging to say the least.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Update, got the car back and mechanic said it was the oil pan seal that was leaking. Apparently when the re did it a section didn't seal properly. Seem odd to me but of course when I got home and put a fresh cardboard under the car I have oil drips. I don't believe it is residual at this point but I'll continue to monitor it and hope it magically disappears. Very discouraging to say the least.
It must be the oil pump seal. I did the oil pan twice and still leaking, 3 weeks ago, I resealed the pan with Toyota FIPG or FPIG sealant and replaced the oil pump seal at the same time, no more dripping oil the first time in many years.
while I was in Messing around with the oil pump seal, I went ahead throw in a new timing belt after 60k of light cruising. The belt showed micro cracks on it.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
@mtang65 congrats on no more drips!! I will keep the oil pump seal in mind next time I see the mechanic.
You have no idea how giddy I am after I sealed up the motor oil. HOWEVER! At the same time, I’ve just swapped in a brand new E153 LSD and there was dripping tranny fluid. It was the driver side axle seal that wasn’t sealed up. Replaced seal, now there’s absolutely no drips. For the first time since 1994 of driving MR2, I have no oil leaks and a tranny with LSD.
life is good.

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
Small engine oil drips are one thing but if you are getting oil onto the underside of the engine lid that's quite another. Most of the common leak points listed above are under low pressure (valve cover, oil pan, turbo return, etc). These are actually harder to find and fix as compared to the high pressure points (turbo supply, dist, mains seals, oil pump and filter). If there is air flow by leak this can transfer the oil to places far away from source. Can make detecting location difficult.

As far as the trans goes, always replace the axle seals when pulling trans or drive train out. The seals are easy to damage and often the internal spring falls off. The gear oil is quite viscous so would need a decent hole to cause leak.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Small engine oil drips are one thing but if you are getting oil onto the underside of the engine lid that's quite another. Most of the common leak points listed above are under low pressure (valve cover, oil pan, turbo return, etc). These are actually harder to find and fix as compared to the high pressure points (turbo supply, dist, mains seals, oil pump and filter). If there is air flow by leak this can transfer the oil to places far away from source. Can make detecting location difficult.

As far as the trans goes, always replace the axle seals when pulling trans or drive train out. The seals are easy to damage and often the internal spring falls off. The gear oil is quite viscous so would need a decent hole to cause leak.
I was shocked to see the tranny fluid leaks since came installed from the factory. However, it was probably as old as the Tran was build and stored in a warehouse.

·
Registered
789 Posts
You have no idea how giddy I am after I sealed up the motor oil. HOWEVER! At the same time, I’ve just swapped in a brand new E153 LSD and there was dripping tranny fluid. It was the driver side axle seal that wasn’t sealed up. Replaced seal, now there’s absolutely no drips. For the first time since 1994 of driving MR2, I have no oil leaks and a tranny with LSD.
life is good.
would love an E153 LSD, life is good!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts