MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 16 and just bought a 91 mr2 and took it in to make sure all is okay. After it was checked the mechanic told me oil is in the turbo and i was quick to think that it should be there. anyone know if this is good or normal.

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
bad seals and letting oil seep out, would you see oil spatter out of the exhaust due to this?

·
Registered
672 Posts
yes.

because oil would travel through all your piping, and , eventually you may get some out of the tailpipes. spark fires fuel, not oil. it only "burns" it.

but make sure that what youre seeing is in fact oil and not unburnt fuel.
heavy build up of carbon/residue in the pipes, fuel rushing over it, carried to the ground, would "appear" to be oil.
you can tell by the smell

oil has a thicker property than fuel and would most likely "burn/smoke" before leaving evidence on the ground. your bumper would get most of the treatment

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
^ hmm, interesting idea on the unburnt fuel. i haven't thought of that, haha well that's probably because i haven't been into cars all that long, i'm only 19! :D actually i was kinda hoping it was oil because that would help explain my excessive oil consumption. (at least what i see as excessive, my speedo went out so i have no ODO either to see how many miles i got between qts)

·
Registered
672 Posts
if youre losing oil, either your turbo seals are on their way out, or a compression test is in order. have you noticed any oil leaks?

also check your turbo hoses, especially the "elbow".......from the turbo to the air filter, a little crack likes to occur on the bottom end of the hose, where the clamp goes on the turbo side. a small leak from there is almost not detectible and would yeild in an oil leak. and the "leak" would run down the trans just before it touches the the block, airflow takes over, and before you know it, you have an oil leak without any signs. another area to check for an oil leak, is the hose going into the intercooler.

a small amount of oil is ok and normal, but if you can do a "fingerprint analysis" with heavy saturation, something is wrong. if it looks like a normal ink pad impression, id say your okay and would severely consider a compression test(oil consumption).

turbos tend to burn oil anyway..roughly 1/2 a quart between oil changes tops.
depending on set-up

good luck

·
Registered
672 Posts
oh yea, sorry.

but unburnt fuel would indicate a rich setting, but.........you lose mpg, but it is better than running lean. and if this is the case, you should check into a new o2 sensor or a cat going out.

either way, this is an indication that something needs corrected, unfortuantely, you are pre-obd2, thus making it more difficult to pinpoint the error, spend the money for a smog test....(if you are in a state that does smog) run an emission test...(shops tend to charge a great deal more for test,adjust,smog, possible failure, bigger bill).........and see what the numbers indicate.

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
i've recently (by that i mean over last summer) found a few leaks and spent about a week fixing the ones i saw. the ones i saw were fairly major and noticeable. Oil feed cracked so i was pretty much bleeding out oil. valvecover and distributor. I haven't done a compression test lately, the last time i did it was when i first got the car about 18-19 months ago and it was pretty much 180 across the board with maybe 3% difference at most between any given two.

1/2 qt between oil changes is kinda vague, refering to qts/mile is better stated. bill and toyota feel that 1qt every 1000 miles is adequate (esp. with how old our cars are). so if you follow the 3000miles rule for oil changes, than that'd be 3 qts of oil between changes.

and there's hardly any oil in my intake tracts. just a light film on the hot pipe, cold pipe, and tb inlet, TB. that's about it. so...i dono. the engine it self feels strong and pulls strong as well. i'm changing out the turbo next month and see if it clears anything up. and regardless, i'll be getting a low mileage/rebuilt long block from crw next year anyways, heh. thanks for the help though and i'll make sure to check it all out.

to the OP, sorry for hijacking your thread for an hour or so, i'm done with my questions now :thumbup

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
blkplge said:
oh yea, sorry.

but unburnt fuel would indicate a rich setting, but.........you lose mpg, but it is better than running lean. and if this is the case, you should check into a new o2 sensor or a cat going out.

either way, this is an indication that something needs corrected, unfortuantely, you are pre-obd2, thus making it more difficult to pinpoint the error, spend the money for a smog test....(if you are in a state that does smog) run an emission test...(shops tend to charge a great deal more for test,adjust,smog, possible failure, bigger bill).........and see what the numbers indicate.
i already know i'm running pig rich. i get a cloud of black smoke out of my exhaust in mid rpms during boost (pretty much where the AFR is off the charts. Plus i smell the obnoxious gas fumes sometimes during normal trafficing (when coming to a stop i mean). that'll all be taken care of once i get to tuning my parts.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
of course oil in the turbo is entirely normal if the PCV is still plumbed in to the intake. Even if it isn't, a small amount of oil seeps past the seals of the turbo normally. Provided there isn't copious amounts of oil in the turbo/intake and it's not smoking at idle, or using lots of oil, I wouldn't be too alarmed.

·
Registered
672 Posts
a quart for every 1k miles is pretty excessive!!!!!!
by any standards.

1/2 a quart for every 3k miles is high normal. but one quart for 1k is high.
go somewhere else. stealerships have a tendancy to miss lead the public for a possible gain.

my set-up is a ct.26 upgraded to a .50 trim,all stock motor, ic sprayer with a motor at 228k miles with 16 psi, and i never burnt a quart of oil 'tween oil changes.

plugs,cap,rotor every 5k miles without fail, seafoam every 15k,trans fluid every 35k and i never burned a quart of oil for for 1k miles.

id get that checked. look for oil burned to the motor/trans. a oil leak will not always present itself as a spot on the ground. you would be suprised to how many cars leak oil without ever leaving a drop on the ground.

·
Registered
672 Posts
sorry again, but pig rich(unless set by you or a shop)...is an indication of o2/cat related problems.

unless you messed with the afm, if you did, put it back.

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
blkplge said:
sorry again, but pig rich(unless set by you or a shop)...is an indication of o2/cat related problems.

unless you messed with the afm, if you did, put it back.
not really, the ecu set from the factory runs the car on the rich side. just look at any dyno of a stock mr2, or one with just bolts-ons etc. just about EVERY dyno i've seen has pig rich AFR's.

I don't have a cat, mine are gutted, and my o2 is working fine btw.

here's some random dynos

mr2by4's old dyno with exhaust

notice AFR going off the chart

someone else

there's quite a bit in the mr2 racing records page under the dyno section

I trust bill wot more than i do the dealership...and many other people here for that matter

billwot said:
Unless you are using more thatn a quart every 1000 miles, don't worry bout tht oil in the pipes.

bill
taken from this thread

http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=160681

·
Registered
672 Posts
so be it

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
blkplge said:
a quart for every 1k miles is pretty excessive!!!!!!
by any standards.
Maybe I'm blind, but I didn't see the original poster say anything about a quart every 1k miles. Didn't he just say the mechanic said there was oil in the turbo?

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
mjrogers23 said:
I am 16 and just bought a 91 mr2 and took it in to make sure all is okay. After it was checked the mechanic told me oil is in the turbo and i was quick to think that it should be there. anyone know if this is good or normal.
Excellent job of quick thinking, especially at 16! Oil in the intake tract is normal, but not necessarily good. It is just a by-product of a turbo. Unless you have other symptoms, there is no need to worry about oil in the intake tract.

Driftin_AW said:
of course oil in the turbo is entirely normal if the PCV is still plumbed in to the intake. Even if it isn't, a small amount of oil seeps past the seals of the turbo normally. Provided there isn't copious amounts of oil in the turbo/intake and it's not smoking at idle, or using lots of oil, I wouldn't be too alarmed.
Also, excellent answer.

Thank you,

Byron

·
Registered
672 Posts
Boz said:
1/2 qt between oil changes is kinda vague, refering to qts/mile is better stated. bill and toyota feel that 1qt every 1000 miles is adequate (esp. with how old our cars are). so if you follow the 3000miles rule for oil changes, than that'd be 3 qts of oil between changes.
it right here.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
ah I see, well that's ok, I was responding to the original poster's question (since all the responses before mine seemed a bit vague and inadequate)

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Driftin_AW said:
ah I see, well that's ok, I was responding to the original poster's question (since all the responses before mine seemed a bit vague and inadequate)
As good as the first post. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Byron said:
As good as the first post. Thanks.
:thumbup Always happy to bring some light into a lonely old pensioner's day :smile:

:didi:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts