MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took apart my oil filter today because the engine is making a grinding like noise around 3500-4000RPM when you let off the gas. It is especially prevelent in 4th gear at those RPMs when you close the throttle. The noise goes away as soon as I tip back into the throttle. The paper element has a good amount of metal flecks in it, but I don't know if this is normal or not. The engine was rebuilt about 5000 miles ago.
Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
After a fresh rebuild i was told to change the oil like 3 times after 300 miles each. It's to help get those metal flakes out.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beckdgc - Thanks for the link to that thread. I also thought/think it is transmission related. I replaced the fluid with some thicker gear lubrinant (Redline Shockproof), but it didn't chaneg the noise any. It does sound like a transmission noise.

skillzo1 - After the rebuild, I replaced the oil after about 100 miles (maybe less) , and again after about 500 miles...Then after about 1000-1500 miles, I changed to synethetic. This is the first time that I've taken the filter apart.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts