MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me again why oil filter feed to turbo is bad?

I have seen threads that say the oil filter or oil cooler feed is intermitent, but don't understand why that is. Is it because of the pressure relief valve on the oil filter sandwich?

I'm planning to relocate my filter using the adapter pictured below mounted straight to the block. I won't be using the pressure relief valve or the oil filter sandwich plate. The adapter has two In and Out ports. It occurs to me I could use one to send oil to the filter, with the oil cooler in-line with the filter. The other Out port could feed oil to the turbo.

What say you experts?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
So.. your going to send unflitered oil to the turbo ?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is oil from the oil pressure sender port filtered? Guess I need a flow diagram for the oiling system....

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Yes.. the oil at the pressure sender is filtered...

·
i overtake on roundabouts
3,802 Posts
IMO it's just too easy to use braided line from the oil sender boss to a remote mounted tee peice for the pressure sender and braided line for the oil feed to the turbo.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I'm kindof in the same boat James... I was planning to use the Tuner Toys steel adapter that screws into the oil pressure sender port. But after crawling around under the 2 I see that the AC Compressor will not allow me to do that, the pressure sender would stick out too far and hit it.

So now I'm looking into finding a remote mount tee like feral4mr2 mentioned... Or possibly building a bracket to remote mount the Tuner Toys piece since I already have it. Anyone know of a good source for the remote mount oil tee blocks?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
OK.. I tried to "lead" the horse to water.. but it didn't work.. So I'll spell it out.

You have two oil OUT connections on that filter mount. You also have two IN ports.

Block one off one OUT port and use the other to go to the filter/cooler setup.

Take the return hose from the filter/cooler setup and plumb it into one of the IN ports, then use the other IN port as an OUT port to the turbo.

'Volia.. filtered oil to the turbo...

As for using a T at the sensor mount, your right it won't fit behind the AC compressor. Now, lets say that you remove the AC compressor and then mount the T to the block with the sensor on one leg and the turbo feed on the other.

You WILL be rebuilding the engine soon after getting it runnng after an oil starvation failure.

Why ?

The T sits farther off of the block, the senders weight is on the T and due to vibration it WILL crack off right at the edge of the block, and all of your oil will be pumped out the hole.

If your going to use the oil pressure sender hole you MUST either
1. use a flexable hose to a remote T for the sender and the turbo feed
2. Fabricate some type of distribution block and mount it to the side of the engine in such a way that vibration won't be an issue (this typically involved removing the AC compressor)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Take the return hose from the filter/cooler setup and plumb it into one of the IN ports, then use the other IN port as an OUT port to the turbo.
Interesting concept. Sure would make things easier and cleaner looking. I'm going to try it.

My problem with the various T and distribution block systems is finding a source for the BSPT to NPT fittings -- and having the resultant hodge-podge of fittings, remote mount and two lines to make it work.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Go for it..
Remember.. turbos don't get a full pressure oil feed... so don't plumb a line right from the adaptor to the turbo or all you'll have is an oily smoky exhaust.
There has to be a restrictor inline to limit the flow.. check with the turbo manufacturer for the proper flow rate...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts