MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Im looking for some springs, down here in australia a very popular choice of springs are Kings (Locally made). However the spring rate on these are

115lb front
120-180lb rear (progressive)

I immediately thought that was too soft (softer than the OEM springs in the Sticky)

I queried kings on it, and this is there reply:

Ian,

Our KTFL-87 and KTRL-11 (sw20 front and rear spings) are an increase in spring rate over the OE coils we have R&D with. The "OE" specs we have on file are,

Front 85lb/"
Rear 120lb/"

Regards,

Kris Tarrant

Sales and Technical Services
KING SPRINGWORKS PTY LTD

Does anyone know if Aus delivered springs are softer than those in the USA? i was under the impression all of our cars were made in japan, and i wouldnt have guessed they would have altered the spring rates dependent on country of export.

any help would be much appreciated, as the kings are only $240AUD, while a set of eibachs down here are around $560 AUD. Ultimately im not after a hugely stiffer spring than i already have, so if OEM coils are the rates that they claim, kings would be fine.

cheers

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
If the stock rate was ~85 lb/in, the front suspension would totally collapse when
you lowered off a jack. There aren't but a few inches of travel to begin with, and even on a relatively-light
car like mine, each front corner weighs about 550 pounds.

I'm pretty sure 85 is wrong, but I think I still have some stock springs
in the garage, so I'll do a quick test, and report.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Is there a difference between imperial pounds and US pounds maybe?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Have you looked into Whiteline springs? I looked into them a while back but they were too expensive, compared to the other options available in Canada, and were not really what I was looking for.

I looked up this old email I sent to them, requesting spring rates.

>>>>>>>>>
Thank you for your email and interest in Whiteline products.

The expected drop for our Control lowering springs is between 25-40mm, depending on application.

Our Control lowering springs for your car are designed for approximately 25mm drop. Please note that final individual results may vary.

The specifications are;
80343 - progressive rate, 87>130 lbs/in
80391 - progressive rate, 120>200 lbs/in

Please refer to our webstore regarding prices, where at the same time you will be able to calculate your shipping costs for different options.

Let me know if you have you have any further questions.

Regards,
Wojtek Rogulski
-------------------------------------------------------------
Technical Support
Go flat-out with WHITELINE Automotive
Ph: +61 2 9603 0111
Fax: +61 2 9820 2500
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.whiteline.com.au
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I never thought of it at the time, but those rates also seem a little bit soft. I seem to recall I read an article on whiteline's website that talked about why they liked to use softer springs, in combination with stiffer sway bars (I read this a long time ago so I could be mistaken).

But that's another option which might be cheaper for you due to the location.

I must also add that I have no idea if these springs are any good, I looked into them but haven't read any feedback on them.

Hope that helps,

Kevin

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just found the article I mentioned in my previous post. I can't link directly to it so go to the Whiteline website and click on the "Reviews & Articles" link (on the left hand side of the page).

Then click on the "How to Guides" and scroll down to the one called "On Suspension", that's where they talk about using soft springs and stiff swaybars.

Kevin

·
Registered
157 Posts
im in the same position as you.. limited options here in australia.

i think im going to order tein s-tech's from ebay america.. works out almost double the cost of king springs but seem to drop more and im guessing are better.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
OK, I tested the 85,000 mile '91NA ( manual steering, A/C, 5-spd ) springs that I happened to have laying around the garage. My method wasn't super-precise ( tape-measure ), so these numbers aren't either.

Front rate is ~110 lb/in, and the rear is ~160. Interesting to note that these are substantially softer than the '91T rates listed in this forum's sticky.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I tested some 91T springs in a similar manner and came up with a front spring rate of ~110 lb/in and a rear spring rate of ~180 lb/in.

Don't know what you found, but the front springs weren't very linear. The last load increment yielded ~140#/in. Had I been able to load the spring beyond 300# (about all my bathroom scale is good for), the final rate probably would have been even higher.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.