MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iam considering buying an oem short block ,but have a few questions about it that you guys might be able to help with.

are the oem shortblocks brand spankin new, or are they rebuilds?

whats the warrenty on them ?

what do the come with? is it just a barebones block, crank and pistons, or do you get an oil or water pump or anything else?

can you buy a complete longblock from toyota?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
oem short blocks are brand new , comes honed and bored , with 86mm pistons and oem size bearings on the crank

·
Registered
532 Posts
You get the block, pistons, rods, and crank assembled and ready to go. Everything else you have to swap from your old engine or buy it new. When I did mine, I bought new water pump, oil pump, timing belt tensioner, timing belt guides and the engine gasket set. My short block came with a 12 month, 12,000 warranty from Toyota.

·
Registered
225 Posts
my 2 cents - OEM block is great for OEM quality and is good for lots-o-HP, but why go stock, when aftermarket is that much better for just a bit more cost? Maybe it's just because I am sour grapes after spending all that money at the dealer, but on the upside, now I get all the parts I need at cost :thumbup

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah im still trying to figure out what i really want to do. i hear that rebuilds dont normally last as long as brand new shortblocks, so thats part of why im thinking of goint with oem. on the other hand, it would be a great time to upgrade the bottom end.

my goal is to stay under 300hp at the wheels. so i need a bottom end that can support that in a realiable way .

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm in the same position you are right now. Might I ask what prompted you to spring for a new shortblock? My engine decided to develop some serious rod bearing issues, so I'm most likely in need of a new shorty anyways but if the post-removal inspection turns out better than I hoped, I'll probably end up selling off the old shorty or upgrading it for later use. If you plan on bumping HP at all later on, use the block you have now as a basis for upgrades.

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
If that's all you want (300whp) then a stock block is fine. 350+whp then maybe you'll need new pistons but the block can handle it. Rebuilds may not last AS long as brand new OEM, however if the build up is done right, then it'll still last a good bit.

J&H did 440whp on a stock bottomend. no clue how his pistons held up, but it's been working fine for him, although now he's putting in better motor.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the reason for the new block is that i started hearing a knock/tap at idle. im fearing its rods/bearings, so im trying to figure everything out now, before it gets any worse.

it seams like the rod bearing problems are VERY common on a stock 3sgte.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Have you priced anything out as of yet? Discounttoyotaparts.com seems to be where I'll be getting mine, everything else I've ordered through them has been exceedingly well dealt with. The quote I got for a new shorty was $1600 shipped. Can't beat that with a stick if you're going stock. They also have just about every part imaginable as they are an online storefront for a dealership. Part number searches are available as well as a drill down type catalog similar to Rockauto. It's a breeze to find what you're looking for, except for that speaker/seatbelt cover panel. I still don't know what it's called. I havn't checked with them to see if they could get discontinued TRD parts, but I doubt it's beyond their abilities.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Okay, so I've already posted this in the similar thread I started a while back on this very subject, but I'm still unclear. After searching through engine generation year brackets, I'm lead to believe that the 3rd generation 3S-GTE engine went into production in the US in late '94. If this is accurate, I should be able to order a shortblock for a '95 (Yes, I do have this option, and it is '95 specific, which prompted this question) and get a 3rd generation shortblock with forged rather than cast pistons, correct? Regardless of what I get for a response here, I'll most likely call the store up and ask them, or drop by my local dealership and do the same, but does what I've stated make some degree of sense here? If I can get away with it, I'd feel much safer with forgies just in case I have a similar turbo-related issue as I had the first round with this car.

On a separate and totally side note, the '93+ front spoiler is available through the site I provided in my previous post for ~$200. As compared to the '91/'92 split spoiler for ~$240/side. Also, ashtrays, a commonly broken item in the MK-II, ~$41. Really, you cannot beat this place with a stick in any way shape or form.

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
GenIII's were never available in the USDM market at any point in time. so how would you expect to get the oem shortlbock from a genIII? True, the 94+ MR2's were equipped with the genIII however only in JDM (and maybe various other countries). While they had the rev 3, we were still getting the rev2. So if a dealer or whoever looked up the part for a 95 engine USDM, it should come up with what came with the car in that specific market for that year. not else where. which is why trying to order OEM parts that aren't genII->GenIII interchangeable (which isn't THAT much really) for a JDM motor is such a PITA from what i hear on board. If you really just want the forged pistons, i believe rockinbluemr2 is selling genIII pistons so you could swap those in.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I may have a used short block that I could sell to you. It would be o.k. in current state, but would recommend a rebuild if you intend to run it for a long time. email me if you are interested

·
Registered
401 Posts
rebuilds not lasting long????? UP to the engine builder and the person who knows how to machine sizes other than just .25 over...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts