MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Likes Porkchop Sandwiches
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a new pair of ebrake cables tonight and while adjusting them I found that with the hand brake engaged it only locks up the passenger side wheel. Another odd thing is I think that both cables are the same length though when installed the drivers side cable seems more loose than the passenger side cable. what do you guys think?
-Tim

·
Registered
250 Posts
I recently installed cables on mine. My drivers side seamed too long and my passenger side seamed too short. Now this was with the car on a lift with the suspension hanging all the way down. The pivoting bracket it attaches to in the front will compensate for some difference in length. It would be interesting to see the cables with the car at normal ride height, but the bottom line is that the Ebrake now works and never freezes in the mourning!

·
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well its good to know that someone as experienced the cable length problem. i don't know whats the deal with the drivers side wheel not locking up though, my guess is the caliper, i might just need to get a new one although they are relatively new. they were re-manufactured so maybe they forgot to do something when it was being put together.

·
Registered
930 Posts
So anyway, there's probably an easy solution to the problem. If you look at where the two cables join near the middle of the car, you'll see that it attaches to a yoke-like device (see the diagram below). There's a bar there that's supposed to pivot, equalizing the tension between the two cables. I'm guessing it has become stuck, so try spraying some WD40 around the area and try to break it loose. Afterwards, go inside your cabin and aggressively engage and then disengage your ebrake about 5 times. This should make sure the yoke is set properly. From there, readjust your tension from underneath the car.

Code:
        Front of car

__|__   <- Spray some WD40 at the "T"
           |     |
           |     |
      Cable 1   Cable 2

·
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the yoke-like device pivots just fine, when i had the cables disconnected it flopped around nicely. and when i pull the ebrake it actually pulls the drivers side further than the passenger side yet it still doesn't seem to engage the brake on the drivers side. though i still don't see how it seems like the drivers side cable is slightly longer then the passengers side while its on the car. perhaps i should take a few pictures or something. I think there is something wrong with the caliper itself. but i don't know if that explains the problem with the cables appearing to be 2 different lengths...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts