MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I've had a problem with occasional stutter, mainly on acceleration for a couple of weeks now. Spark plugs and HT leads all changed not long ago and I've checked the distributor cap and rotor and all looks good. Swapped the ignition coil this weekend as that was cracked and the rough idle issue that developed at the same time is gone but the occasional stutter is still there.

Not sure where to go next? Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
11,976 Posts
Maybe a loose fuel injector connector? The early mk1 cars would do that because the connectors were fragile and the latches would always break off. Don't know if that is possible on your car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe a loose fuel injector connector? The early mk1 cars would do that because the connectors were fragile and the latches would always break off. Don't know if that is possible on your car.
I’m not sure it’s fuel, mainly because if I lift off the accelerator and then slowly press it tends to pick up again. If I keep my foot down when it does fire then there’s a real jolt from the extra fuel in the engine. TPS maybe?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have you checked for vacuum leaks? I had a similar problem not too long ago and eventually traced it down to a small vacuum leak...

·
Premium Member
11,976 Posts
I’m not sure it’s fuel, mainly because if I lift off the accelerator and then slowly press it tends to pick up again. If I keep my foot down when it does fire then there’s a real jolt from the extra fuel in the engine.

TPS maybe?
This does sound like a loose connection. The engine will shift in its mounts under torque, and that can make a bad connection drop in and out. Is the power loss partial or total? The reason that I guessed fuel injector is that will cause partial power loss and a stuttering sound as one cylinder cuts out, and that is what your description sounded like.

I doubt that the TPS can do that. It only does adjustments to throttle response, and the car should run satisfactorily with the TPS disconnected. You could try that and see if it has an effect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you checked for vacuum leaks? I had a similar problem not too long ago and eventually traced it down to a small vacuum leak...
Took the throttle body off last night - think the vacuum hose that goes vertically down was loose, and that pipe has water in it, maybe from the rain?? Checked the TPS with a multimeter and that seems fine, smooth change is resistance with no dropout. Will clear the water out and put it all back together tomorrow- fingers crossed that’s it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been for a long drive today - was fine for a while, then progressively got worse to the point where it was every time I tried to accelerate. Anyway fuel gauge was a little low so I’ve just topped up and it’s perfect again! I’m wondering if when I swapped the pump I didn’t put it low enough? Or the pickup has come off? Either way I am happy to keep it above a quarter of a tank if that solves the problem. I really don’t fancy taking the tank out again 😳

1 - 7 of 7 Posts