MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
So I recently purchased an out-of-state 2018 Toyota Camry from Pat Lobb Toyota of McKinney in Texas. I am in New York, but thought that we lived in a technological age that should allow for interstate car purchases. Ive bought cars from out-of-state before. But this was by far the WORST experience ever. After leaving a few reviews on dealerrater and Google and explaining what happened, I am starting to think that maybe I bought a stolen or trashed title car. I mean I was initially comfortable with the purchase as I do have the car in my possession. I had it shipped up here at my expense. But, when I was buying the car, the dealer did NOT have the keys. And, they wouldnt "cut" new ones in house. They said it would be too expensive. So they had an "outside guy" come in to do it. And now, they are dragging their feet sending me the title. Their excuse is that the title will have a lien on it since it is financed. But every other time I have purchased a car, I would take the original title to my DMV and have them issue me a new title WITH the lien holder noted. After I pay off the loan, is when I expect a new title in only my name. I even had to call the bank on my own to confirm this. The sales manager after speaking with the bank said that they would over night me the title...keep in mind this is a couple of weeks after the deal was completed. But then the next day, without letting me know, he said he was sending the title directly to the bank. Its now the weekend and the bank is closed. They wont have the title there anyway until Monday. And then who knows how long it will take them to open the mail, figure out what is going on, and then send the title my way. So no original keys, a reluctance to make me new keys at the dealership, an extreme hesitancy to send me the title, and two employees in finance/accounting and the general manager are avoiding my calls. The car does have a temporary Texas tag in the window good for 60 days, but with no registration is there a way for me to know that tag is good for me? Seem shady to you?
If you are shopping online, or live in the McKinney area...stay away from Pat Lobb Toyota

·
Premium Member
11,975 Posts
. The car does have a temporary Texas tag in the window good for 60 days, but with no registration is there a way for me to know that tag is good for me?

... Seem shady to you?
Generally, the papers become void when the car changes hands. But, you may have a bigger problem.

You bought a car with no keys and no title. That sounds like a hot car. Maybe it is a repo, but at best it may take legal action to prove that you now own it. Do you have any evidence that this dealer actually exists? I hope that this works out for you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Generally, the papers become void when the car changes hands. But, you may have a bigger problem.

You bought a car with no keys and no title. That sounds like a hot car. Maybe it is a repo, but at best it may take legal action to prove that you now own it. Do you have any evidence that this dealer actually exists? I hope that this works out for you.
Yes. Its an actual Toyota dealership. It is a Certified Toyota and I have that paperwork with correct VIN. I have a Bill of Sale with correct VIN. I agree that the original title should become void in the purchase, but here in NY, we need that piece of paper to register the car. We are then issued a NYS title with the lien holder noted. When the car is paid off (if financed like this one) then you go back to DMV with a letter from the bank saying the lien is satisfied and then you get a new title with no lien holder listed. You technically cant sell a car in NY without satisfying a lien. Of course, people do all of the time, especially dealerships that take in trades, but you need to satisfy the existing lien before you can register the car in your name. A dealership would usually satisfy the lien and then sell the car with a lien free title. Ive been reading about dealerships, even one in Texas that has been caught being lazy and or shady and not satisfying a lien on a car they take in, until after the car is purchased...sort of like a Ponzi scheme, using one buyer's money to take care of a different loan instead of the intended one. I think this might be the case here. I am contacting the Texas Attorney General to file a claim on Monday morning.

For now, if you are in the Dallas / McKinney, Texas area, I highly suggest staying away from Pat Lobb Toyota.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts