1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
okay, heres an odd one for you guys,

tore the ligament in my left ankle..(the one that keeps everything in place),
and before surgery, my ankle was "loose"
meaning if you pulled on it, there was play, kinda like a streched shifter cable if you will, and sometimes you could actually feel it. it felt like something was out of place.

ssssooooooooooo, i had surgery, and now im in a cast. been in it for 3 &1/2 weeks. everything was awesome until last week.

now i have a pain in my ankle just below the surgical area. it throbs sometimes and now (the last 3-4 days), it has that "loose" feeling again.
almost like something got stretched.

so, being in a cast, do you guys think that something may have gotten stretched or do you guys think this is a healing thing?
i called the doc yesterday and told them what was going on and they said, "well, armendariz wanted to see you 1 month after the cast, so how is the 16th?"
im guessing they dont feel an urgency, but what are the odds everything is okay "fixed", when i feel broken?

and the procedure was........cut my ankle open, put some screw anchors into the bone, attach the ligament via "fishing line" type of material to the screw achors, close me up and send me on my way.

my surgery was 3&1/2 weeks ago and ive gone through : 1)- 40 pill prescription of percicets. and i just finished my 3rd, 40 pill prescription of vicodin. that is 160 pain pills in less than 4 weeks!!!!!!!!!!
but the doc doesnt feel concerned. lets not forget that i havent worked since nov.10, 2005. workmans comp pays but not well enough.....sure wish i had afflack right about now.

just curious of what you guys think

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
mmmh you may just be getting a tolerance for the drugs. Im not a doc or anything though. but I would ask for different pain killers. that and vicodin sucks my wife was on it for migraines and she would just go to sleep. I would ask for different pain killers. That and you dont want to get hooked on them.

Chris

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I thought about this more if you have a high tolerance to alcohol you could have a tolerance to the drugs. Alcohol and vicodin work on the same receptors (not sure about percecet). Also, previous experience with other drugs (even tobacco) could affect the way your body metabolizes pain medication. I'm not saying you're a drug addict or an alcoholic, just thinking about relationships between drugs.

It's also possible that you did reinjure your foot. Who knows. You should really bug your doctor about it.

PS Chris' wife here....did you really think Bucket was that smart ;)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well my mom had a similar surgery except that they actually cut her achilles tendon. She was on perceset for about 3 months so depending on what was actually done inside your ankle you may not be fully healed yet. I don't remember her going through that many pills though, that seems high especially for less than a month. Make sure to take it easy on your ankle, my mom's surgery was a little over a year ago and she still has occasional pains and ankle swelling. Best of luck.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well today, most of everything was good.
my girlfriend had her gall bladder removed today, but while i waited, everything was okay. i went out to get her car to bring it to the door and my ankle started hurting.

the other day, we were out and about, and the last 2 times i got out of the car, my ankle hurt and felt out of place, so i lightly tapped my heel on the ground, and everything went away, didnt hurt for hours.....this was the day i called the doctor.

i told the doc on the phone, well, the sec/recep, everything i stated here on the board.
i just know that when i go in, they are gonna say "yep, something went wrong, how about another month of no work?"
and they dont want me to go back to work, even on light duty because my toes are exposed, which i understand because im in the automotive field.

and thanks to bucket's wife, i do have a high tollerence to pain meds and the other you mentioned. but i would go a day or two and be okay, and then there would be days where i woke up, took 2. an hour later, another one. couple hours later, some more....yaddy yaddy yaddy.
and that goes with catholic82. some days good, some days bad.

maybe im just paranoid
but right now, at 8:50 pm, i have a slight,odd, tingle. but earlier today, it hurt to walk
and ive had no drugs today

maybe im just paranoid.........maybe

but thanks for the replies. i appreciate it

·
Registered
79 Posts
hey man i had the same surgery but worse not only did i tear my ankle but my ACL, MANISCIS, AND MCL.
yeah man your leg is never going to be the same,
but i do know that the pain that you are feeling is just from the healing and the fact that you had screws put in you leg. also its going to need lots of P.T. just to get back being able to walk on it with out pain. you got along way to go man so hang in there.

make sure to ask the doc if you can ever get the screws out. cause mine hurt in the cold or when i hit my leg on anything.

you will be able to be fine pretty soon and the important thing is that you'll be able to drive again it will just hurt like hell ion traffic lol

good luck your leg is fine for now

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for your input RAYSESMR2, now i guess that i am just being slightly paranoid.

the reason for such a concern is when this first happened, doc#1 said i only "sprained my ankle"

then almost a week later, i felt something was wrong, and so i did a "panic" eval. and the second doc set me up for a mri, which showed that there was more wrong with me like i expected. this including p.t. twice until the ultrasound hurt my ankle and caused me to pull away, which of course brought attention to my p.t. therapist.

its just a concern of mine that my ankle feels "loose" even though im in a cast and the report to the doc doesnt warrant a need of concern as i feel it should. i am already under the impression that i have 1 more month..(atleast)...of not working, but i am going crazy just sitting here doing nothing wondering,...."whats next?"

i just dont feel comfortable feeling "broke" when i am supposibly fixed. i understand that things are going to be different from here on out, with limited mobility, but i would think that a cast should prevent any injury from re-occurring until removed.

and the vicodin do help tremendously, its enough to take away the pain, but not enough to knock me out. i appreciate this alot considering they are 500 mils each. i can take 3 at once with food and still function to what i believe to be fairly normal. and it really is " a day at a time" type of thing. sometimes i feel awesome and others it hurts from the minute i wake up.

AND IM REALLY SORRY IF IM DRAGGING THIS OUT AND RAMBLING, but it feels good to know someone knows what im going through. im just concerned, even if the doc isnt.

sincerely,
john

1 - 9 of 9 Posts