MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Continuation of Pt. 1: http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=72560

I think we should pick St. Louis as the start of the home stretch drive into Topeka for all caravans coming from the East. I'll communicate this with the other regions and see what kind of response we get.

Remember that even if a hotel room costs $61, you can probably stuff 3 other people in there so it won't be so expensive.

The drive from St. Louis to Topeka will be very simple. 295 miles (~4.5 hours) and several opportunities for breaks. Link to map

·
Registered
633 Posts
Man this sux, i have a huge dilema. I really want to drive in a caravan with my 2 ever since ive had it. If i did that i dont think i would race it at any of the events becuase if it broke im kinda f'd.

On the other hand i could trailer it down thier and just go buck on the car wich would be just great.

I guess as the time gets closer and see who is going were and if i will even be meeting anyone on the way. I will probably be leaving thursday night on the 9th after work and just driving straight thier with a friend of mine. So my best bet would be to trailer it.

·
Premium Member
2,254 Posts
ok me and RossW and Cacaman will be leaving from CT on the 8th i would say mid day to avoid morning traffic. i loathe traffic i know it will be a factor in the trip but we are giving outselves more then enough time to get to KA i refuse to be late for registration. i will get our trip layout up a little late to get something i little more set in stone as far as who is meeting with us for the long ride to KS and were they will be joining

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
i got my car working again so im back in the game, i dont care who i meet up with, as long as its a good size group.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So we have selected a hotel for Thursday night in St. Louis: http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=89727

Now we just need to organize a caravan from wherever people are coming from to St. Louis.

What time do we want to get into St. Louis? Remember that we will be traveling west and will have to deal with the sunset if we are on the road too late (7-8pm). I personally think that shooting for 6pm CDT would be a good time. This will get us in early enough for us to relax before going out and hitting the hotspots. Also remember that some of us will gain an hour as we switch over to Central Daylight Time. So that will give us an extra hour in the day.

For me personally, that would mean that I would leave Pittsburgh around 9am EDT, because it usually takes me 10 hours to get to St. Louis. Since we will be going in a caravan, our pace may be a little slower (more stops). I would be willing to leave from Pittsburgh at 8am EDT.

Columbus - 11 am EDT
Dayton - 12:15 pm EDT
Indianapolis - 2 pm CST (they don't change for Daylight Savings)
Terre Haute - 2:45 CDT (they do change for Daylight Savings)
Effingham - 4 pm CDT
St. Louis, MO - 6 pm CDT

·
Monkeys are Funny
1,288 Posts
I will be coming from Columbus, but I'm not sure I'll be able to roll with you guys if I have to leave that early. I'm not sure yet what my deal is with work. My options are 6:30AM-3:00PM 8&skate, 6:30AM-10:30AM half day, or take the full day off. It all depends on what my boss will accept, and what condition the car will be in. And since I'm still in Japan and won't be returning to the US until next month, this is not something I will know for a while. However, I have booked my hotel room for St. Louis, so I will definitely be showing up some time on the 9th.

Thanks a lot to TBeck for taking point and organizing everything!
Eric

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
thanks tbeck... are you guys planning on stopping in those cities for like 20min or so? cause a bunch of indiana people want to meet up in this cruise and will meet you guys somewhere downtown

i HIGHLY recommend buying a GMRS radio... preferrably the Motorola T7100.... its pretty cheap for a 7mile radio that sounds pretty good... i just used it in a cruise we had here, really nice to have next to a police scanner and Valentine 1 radar detector

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
everyone needs to have a walkie talkie of some sort. I got a cheapo $8 one and it has like a 3 mile radius and like 12 channels. if everyone cant have a walkie then we def need the leader to have one, the person in the rear to have one, and one in the middle. Makes keeping track of everything really easy, for instance if someone behind the middle person has some serious trouble and has to pull off the road, ya other mr2s will pass them but if the leader doesnt know to pull over and stop the caravan, then it really sucks for the people left behind. thats why the very last person has a walkie to tell the leader there is a problem and to pull over, which of course everyone would do the same. also, we need to have several copies of map quest directions spread out through out the group as well so not only a couple know where we are going. I myself will have my buddy filming so ill be driving up and down the caravan while my buddy tapes. so ill have directions of course so i know how much room i have to do stuff. plus ill have a walkie too.

and i dotn see any reason we cant stop at other cities, even if some are jsut a few min out of the way, to pick up other groups, thats the whole point of it all, get as many mr2s together as we can.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We will be following the caravan guidelines which are posted on the NA2005 website: http://www.na2005.info/caravans.asp. It covers speed, radios, and just general safe behavior when traveling in a caravan.

The best way to meet up with another group of cars is right off the interstate. Rest areas and large gas stations at particular exits are probably the easiest for us all. Remember that 20+ cars will fill up the parking lot of most smaller establishments.

It would be best if the group from a particular area scoped out a good meeting spot along our route (I-70) and posted it here. I don't have my AAA maps here, but maybe pick the first rest stop after you get on the highway. You can get there a little early and wait until we show up. We don't want to do too much backtracking just so that people can meet up with us. We're all going to the same destination, so we can meet up with you along the way.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
i HIGHLY recommend getting a GMRS radio instead of the cheap/crappy FRS type, the GMRS type are far superior...

good idea about the rest stop, we could stop at the first rest stop west of 465 (indianapolis' loop) and wait for you guys to come rolling through, then let you guys get a 5 min break and take a leak at the restroom, then roll out

we could get there at about 1:30 and chill for a half hour incase you guys are running ahead of schedule, whoever is going to lead that caravan can call me 317-625-2885.. my name is Damon so i guess ill lead the meet up at the rest stop

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It looks like that rest stop is located at mile marker 64, just west of Indy. http://www.state.in.us/dot/pubs/pdfs/2003RestAreas.pdf (big map, takes a while to download)

1:30 - 2:00 sounds like a good time frame. We'll firm it up as the date approaches.

Here's a link to the rest I-70 exits in Ohio: http://www.ohhighways.com/exits/I70exits.html
And the rest areas in Illinois: http://www.dot.state.il.us/restarea/restmap.html
And the exits on I-70 in Missouri between STL and Independence: http://www.route56.com/highways/70eexit.shtml

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
TBeck2000 said:
We will be following the caravan guidelines which are posted on the NA2005 website: http://www.na2005.info/caravans.asp. It covers speed, radios, and just general safe behavior when traveling in a caravan.

lol, no swearing on the radio....riiiiiiiiiiight. ;)

I have AAA, does anyone else? so your looking at #64 to meet up at? i think #22 would be a great place for all the louisville people to mee up at, its right across the river so you wouldnt have city crap to deal with, and then we could all head to #64 to meet up with the rest of the groups. and then that big group could pick up everyone else along the way untill we reach STL.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I hope everyone here is down for the hotel bash. Fill them tubs up fellas were gunna get drunk!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was going through some maps today and I think we can revise our caravan schedule a bit. Let me know if this makes sense. We will of course work in rest breaks and gas stops once we are on the road.

Proposed revised caravan schedule for Thursday, June 9th:
  • Pittsburgh - 8 am EDT - 3 hours, 180 miles to Columbus - map
  • Columbus - 11 am EDT - 1.25 hours, 76 miles to Dayton - map
  • Dayton - 12:15 pm EDT - 2.25 hours, 117 miles to Indy - map
switch from EDT to EST at the OH/IN border and gain an hour
  • Indianapolis - 1:30 pm EST - 0.50 hours, 20 miles to Rest Area 64
  • Rest Area 64 (west of Indy) - ~2:00 pm EST - 1.25 hours, 66 miles to Terre Haute - map
  • Terre Haute - 3:15 EST - 1.25 hours, 68 miles to Effingham - map
switch from EST to CDT at the IN/IL border and do nothing :)
  • Effingham - 4:30 pm CDT - 1.5 hours, 101 miles to St. Louis - map
  • St. Louis, MO - 6:00 pm CDT

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
its looking really iffy on if i can go, all up to ups letting me off, and since i start the 20th and im a rookie, its not looking good at all.. :cry: :cry:

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any news from anybody?

I'm still hoping to hear from any people from east of Pittsburgh that will be making the trip. I would like to start off the day in the caravan rather than driving to Columbus or Indy before meeting up with anyone. If anybody needs a place to crash for Wednesday night before the trip, I have 4 couches and 2 spare beds in my house (plus plenty of floor) that I will offer up.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts