MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
limits the slip between wheels. Ever seen "my cousin vinny"?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Basically there's a set of clutches (clutch type) or sealed plates with fluid between them (viscous type.. there are other types I think too), and when one tire is spinning faster than the other, it will increase the torque going to the slower wheel and cause them both to spin at the same speed; limiting the slip :)

For VLSD, the plates heat up on either side, causing the fluid to heat up and will shift the torque to the other plate.. clutch type I dont really know how it works

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
Clutch types have a set of small clutch plates that tie the 2 sides together. Constant spring pressure forces the clutches together. Under very heavy torque differences, they allow a bit of slip - like in cornering; but they require a fair amount before they will slip. The nice thing about clutch types is that there is always a given amount of torque transferred to both wheels. Even if one side has zero traction, the other one will still pull.

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Kimchi604 said:
what does LSD do..

Heavily alters your state of consciousness and makes you see things for 6-12 hours. (not recommended while driving):fluffy:

Oh, the transmission... just what Nitsud and ITA-MR2 said.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Does anyone know what type of LSD the TRD one is I just bought off yahoo japan? Its for the E-series trans and also works on some SW20's.. theres a thread with pics from earlier this week..

Brando

·
Registered
622 Posts
how often do you have to change the clutches in the clutchpack type LSD?

·
Registered
516 Posts
HaPpYfAcE said:
how often do you have to change the clutches in the clutchpack type LSD?
Depending on your driving!

Somebody know if the stock c 160 lsd is a cluch, mecanic ok visquous type lsd? :p

Alex

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
not meaning to hijack the thread, but the question's already been answered, so....Can anyone tell me the difference between the Quaife LSD and Cusco LSD, if there is any?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Annnd 'torsen' (torque sensing) diffs aren't really LSD at all... They automagically sense which wheel has the most grip and apply more torque to it.

But as soon as traction is lost on either wheel, it's all over - no torque delivery, just like an open diff.

Edit:
So, basically, a locking diff says, "Face it, wheelspin is a fact of life. We'll just help you ignore it when it does happen. And let you do cool powerslides."

While a Torsen diff says, "We're going to try our damned hardest to make sure you don't lose traction... But when you do, you're on your own."

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hmm... in general torsen is ultimately designed for grip use? bad for drifting if it's under that assumption.

I always thought accordingly to the torque bias ratio, (say 4:1 as example), if one wheel spins, 4X the force is applied to the other wheel and vice versa until there's traction which is easy to assume that torsen was best for drifting?

·
Registered
535 Posts
XuperXero said:
I always thought accordingly to the torque bias ratio, (say 4:1 as example), if one wheel spins, 4X the force is applied to the other wheel and vice versa until there's traction
This is correct... but when one of your wheels has very little weight on it and is spinning with almost no resistance: almost zero x 4 = 4 x almost zero. Not good.

A locking diff behaves more like a closed diff, where it just doesn't care that one of your wheels is spinning at all.

·
Registered
97 Posts
LSD - lysergic acid diethylamide

LSD is synthesized from lysergic acid, derived from ergot. Ergot is a grain fungus that typically grows on rye. LSD is sensitive to oxygen, ultraviolet light, and chlorine, especially in solution. However its potency may last years if stored away from light and moisture in a freezer. In pure form it is colorless, odorless, and mildly bitter. LSD is typically delivered orally, usually on a substrate such as absorbent blotter paper, a sugar cube, or gelatin.

Introduced by Sandoz Laboratories as a drug with various psychiatric uses, LSD quickly became a therapeutic agent that appeared to show great promise. However, the extra-medical use of the drug in western society in the middle years of the twentieth century led to a political firestorm and government insider panic that resulted in the banning of the substance for medical as well as recreational and spiritual uses. Despite this, it is still considered a promising drug in some intellectual circles.

wikipedia.com

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
^^Ha, ha.^^ So which is better, Torsen or clutch-type? I don't plan on drifting in my Two any time soon.

·
Registered
535 Posts
That's not something I can answer myself... They both have advantages over one another; they're both used extensively in high-performance applications, so it's not easy to point to one and say "Well, all the professionals use this one".

Wonder if some of the regular track-racers may be able to offer thoughts...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts