MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more I research engine management, the more confused I get. In some ways it looks like I don't need more than an ATS Rom or piggyback unit, but some people tell me I need an AEM EMS or Nemesis or HKS standalone system.

I'm running a 93 MR2 Turbo, and in the near future hope to install 800 cc side injectors and run around 20 psi on pump gas with an appropiate turbo (have yet to decide lol).

Also I wanted a slightly user-friendly solution. Like, something that installed into the single-slot for a CD player would be awesome (rather than having a big screen glued to the dashboard or w/e).

So in case you couldn't tell from my question, I am indeed lost and would much appreciate someone helping me find a nice solution to my problem.

Thanks!
-Richie

·
Registered
342 Posts
To do them right, 800cc injectors will require a standalone.

Perhaps if we knew your desired hp range, better recommendations could be made.

I am not sure what you are wanting to mount on the dash. Are you looking for a screen to display data from the engine management or??

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol, I do NOT want anything cluttering my dash. Ok so I need EMS that's cool. As for my horsepower range.... the only real guideline I have is that I want to run as much power possible from 93 octane. I was also wondering what turbo would be good to match this goal. With the other parts I've planned 500 horsepower seems like the peak (400 minumum though). Basically whatever solution fits that best would rock.

Also, I thought about getting a bigger turbo so I could run race gas and pump up the boost, but from what I've read this gets into the range where the shortblock starts to crack, and you'll also need ARP head studs, stiffer valve springs, etc. So I probably won't need onboard boost control.

·
Registered
342 Posts
500whp on pump would be a very very difficult and expensive goal. 400whp on pump is doable, but it takes careful parts choices and good engine building/tuning.

What kind of budget are you working with?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't worry about the engine, I have the whole thing planned minus the specific turbo. I don't want to get into estimate HP numbers or budget, I'm just wonder what would be a good EMS setup to not only run much bigger injectors, but also adjust the fuel pressure, and most importantly some setup where I could have a good deal of control using a unit mounted in the dash slot where CD players go.

Thanks

·
Automotive cartographer
4,402 Posts
800cc injectors are just a wee bit small for 500rwhp in most cases. 850cc injectors are probably about the smallest I would recommend that you plan on using if that is your goal.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, I was thinking about an A1000 pump with Delphi 96 lb/min injectors on a Wolfcatz top feed rail. The only thing that bugs me is they say I need their high HP kit with a pump that big, but I've never heard of anyone needing it for those numbers.

Still, the question stands that I'm wondering which EMS will be the cleanest fit on an MR2. Something where I can switch fuel/boost presets without a laptop and will mount cleanly on the car (inside mounting is good only if the controls fit in the audio slots)

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
I can't imagine any reason at all why you wouldn't go at least a little overkill when doing a fuel setup. My fuel setup is strong enough to handle a boost spike on the coldest of days at sea level. I live in a desert a mile high (Denver).

Wolfkatz is a fantastic vendor with one of the best reputations on this board.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
VIVIZ3KTR said:
Something where I can switch fuel/boost presets without a laptop and will mount cleanly on the car (inside mounting is good only if the controls fit in the audio slots)
Well, the AEM has a high/low boost switch that you can wire into any small space if that's all you want. I have mine wired in and it changes my boost from 15/20psi.

I'm not sure why you are hung up on this dash thing and not changing maps with a laptop. Think about the reasons why you would need to change maps and it basically boils down to major changes in engine efficiency (including going to race gas and back). Those changes should be known in advance so having a laptop around for those events shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
342 Posts
With both systems you should be able to do a toggle switch for what you want. I have set many AEM cars up this way. Most guys do a pump gas/race gas switch. When you flip the switch, it will change the fuel, timing and boost levels all at once. Just be sure you have the correct fuel when changing to the race gas mode. There are a suprising number of my customers who do not have laptops, and really don't want to mess with one. For them, this switch works great.

John

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
John,

That sounds perfect! Doesn't have to go in the audio slot just thought it would be cool... can you give me any details on how (link?) And if that's the case with AEMs I'd definately get one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
I think VIVIZ3KTR thinks of a SAFC when he mentiones an "EMS."

Meaning, like an SAFC.. it could be mounted in an audio slot.

VIVIZ3KTR.. a full standalone "EMS" like an AEM, a Hydra Nemesis, Haltech, or others, completely replace the stock ECU that is located behind the carpetting in the trunk. It doesn't get any cleaner than that... in fact the Nemesis comes with a plate to mount it exactly where the stock ECU went. A real EMS won't come with a display with buttons to adjust things that you would mount in the cabin somewhere.

You then run a serial cable from the trunk into the cabin. It's just a serial cable so you can hide it in the glove box, or under the dash, or in the center storage box... like SpyderVenom said, you only hook the laptop up to it when you change major things in your engine..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts