MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
In a 2003 MR2 with SMT I hear a single clunk sound when putting in reverse after starting. Haven't had the trans fluid checked but it was stored for 2 months before the issue started.

·
Premium Member
12,821 Posts
A single clunk going into reverse sounds normal to me. The transmission is essentially a standard manual with a robot shifter attached to it, and I would expect the same results as shifting a manual into reverse by hand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The "clunk" sounds like something breaking loose that's stuck. I've driven it for 9 years and never heard the sound until now. I'm not sure what "SMT" stands for but has something to do with models that have no clutch and automatically downshifts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello,
In a 2003 MR2 with SMT I hear a single clunk sound when putting in reverse after starting. Haven't had the trans fluid checked but it was stored for 2 months before the issue started.
No ones gonna know whats wrong. And if they did, you're still going to open it up or take it to a shop and have them look at it.

If you think its the trans fluid, then go flush it. If the problems gone, cool.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Today I didn't hear the sound, so the problem is intermittent. If low transmission fluid is the cause I could just check, but no dipstick why I mentioned it. Mechanics around here are mostly thieves so bringing in to get looked at without offering any ideas about what might be wrong is just asking for it. Been there done that.

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,897 Posts
The Spyder SMT control/actuation mechanism is known to develop problems over time. Often they completely stop working. You might ask the question over on Spyderchat.com, where you probably have a better chance of finding someone that's seen this symptom before and knows what's going wrong.
And yes, manual Toyota transmissions (including Sequential ones) don't have dipsticks. When changing the fluid you just fill them up till it runs out the filler hole. Unless there's a bad leak, they never need "topping up".

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
The SMT never mind what that stands for has a complicated system of sensors and hydraulically operated actuators that engages the clutch and shift gears for you. There are two types of fluid required for the SMT. One is ordinary GL-4 75W90 gear oil that goes right into the transmission case. The other is a proprietary hydraulic fluid that goes in the SMT fluid reservoir. Nowadays most SMT owners substitute DOT4 brake fluid for the SMT fluid. Either oe of these fluids could be due for replacement on your car. You may also be in need of a new clutch. Whatever you do, do not take your car to a Toyota dealer. Very bad things are guaranteed to happen if you do.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Frank is correct. Do not take the car to the dealer, or to your thieving repair shop. Join Facebook “MR2 Spyder SMT “ group, and/or spyderchat. We have a lot of knowledge, repair instructions, spare parts etc available. Your first move should be to buy a J2534 cable on Amazon for about $40, and download a copy of techstream (free if you follow instructions).
Then you can interrogate the system and see if anything is going wrong. Standard OBD readers cannot read SMT codes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts