MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone my first time on the page. i just got my 1992 MR2 2.2L and i love it. i had a question about my oil filter. i changed my oil and put a new oil filter on it. put 3000 miles on it. took my oil filter off to replace it and it looks brand new no oil in it at all. any ideas ? oil pump or oil bypass ?

·
Premium Member
11,918 Posts
I would suggest getting an accurate measurement of the actual oil pressure, so that you can figure out why the bypass is not opening.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I thought, and maybe I had heard wrong, that the toyota filters had a 'trap door' of sorts that kept oil in them so when you fired it up there wasnt that moment of no lubrication. Is that not the case?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Getting a oil pressure gauge on there and seeing what it really is will help in seeing if you have a real problem. Also these cars seem to sit for awhile like all survivor jdm cars so you may have sludge buildup in your oil passages. Gravity will definitely drain out a filter if it sits before removing it. The 2000+ Tacoma’s have a check valve that keeps oil in the filter but the 2.2L we have has no such thing. Just a bypass if the filter gets too clogged so you don’t lock up. Try getting a high quality engine cleaner and running it for 3-500 miles and doing another change to try and get the buildup out of there. Don’t need any clogged squirters! Let us know what you end up doing!

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
Much depends on the quality of the oil filter and its construction. They should all have drain back valves but some do not work very well.

I agree with the others that further checks should be completed to determine if you have an obstruction or there is simply a filter issue.

jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts