MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
turbo's are better? i don't know how a turbo is better other than acceleration. well anyway congrats on your new car.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
we should just have a NA vs turbo event at the NA2006 this year. of course v6 are allowed under NA also :D

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
or is it NA2007? well forgot the even but that big mr2 event. you know.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, i should be selling my NA soon, but not quite. it still needs some fixing before i can sell it.

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
rdyzz said:
or is it NA2007? well forgot the even but that big mr2 event. you know.
Umm, I am not sure but I know it's not this year. This year is Kingston up in Canada, which I am still hoping to attend. I think it is 2007 or 08. It's whenever Toyota's 50th anniv. is. That still may not happen either though but hopefully.

I'll partake in that challenge though. But it has to be NA (5sfe) vs. Turbo (3sgte) because that was his original comment saying the turbo is better than the 5s. I will be the turbo of course....

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
darn i don't own a 5s anymore. maybe theres somepeople here with nice 5s.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Personally, I don't know how the turbos perform, but I do know that my stock N/A will get beat by a stock Chevy Lumina in the drags. (That was my previous car.) I was actually wondering if a 300ZX Non-Turbo will get beat by a MR2 Turbo? My friend has a 300zx and stands by his until it dies(he says his car will beat it), but I want an honest answer.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
300z are pigs. turbo modes only do 14's realistically with regular drivers. and often enough at the strips i see NA 300z's do just 16's.

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
Better than what.. I have seen 5S owners in the 14's and I personally made a 15.1 with a gen 3 3S-GE Stock running a MR2 turbo trans. hmm.. Now with my 5SGE project I intend to do much lower numbers..

so while your in your stock MR2 turbo waiting for that "vrrmmm pshhhhh......" ill be a few cars ahead ;-).. I?m sorry.. I don?t jump in on things like this very often but what the hell.. Lets have a lil fun..

:billstron

TO ALL THE NA's out there making power....

So how are turbos better again..? I never seen lag on a NA before.. had anyone else.. ask the V8 MR2 swappers ;-D

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
well the turbos vrrmmm psh comes on earlier than the NAs torque peak (by a considerable margin) but there is definitely something to be said about an NA biuld, one with ITBs that screams up to the 8k range (cough 20V cough)

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
hmm.. you can compare the gen 4 VVTI to a second gen and end up with just about the same power levels and one that runs high 14's and one that runs low 13's.. Hmm.. There goes that "vrrmmm pshhhhh......" out the window again.. I was actually thinking about going with a 2.4 setup with my 5sge.. Something about that 89mm piston that just gets me all warm inside.. then ill :hammered: on a turbo all day ;-)

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Hmm... waiting for VTEC kinda sucked in my 04 S2000. Similar to a turbo no?

Dollar for dollar, a built NA will always get wooped by a built turbo. Lag is way overrated anyway... most people that dog it have never owned a turbo vehicle.

Don't get me wrong, I love my NA MR2 but my turbo was significantly faster.

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
Okay, new challenge. The next national meet or any meet with access to a road course, drag strip and autocross, I will go up against any NA with 4 cylinders. I have nothing against the 5sfe's or any NA really I just think it was be very fun to have this challenge. So I guess I am calling you out, whether it's a stock or built 3sfe (why, I don't know), 5sfe, 3sge or 5sge. Now what I mean by NA is no forced induction of any kind as well as nitrous. The portion I think will be the most challenging will be autocross.

Oh yeah, and I told you I felt it coming ;).............

1 - 20 of 55 Posts