MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some advice please...

1994 MR2 N/A (Japanese made)

During the day my idle is running low at 750rpm. I know this is supposed to be the normal rate but it seems to be quite rough. At night however, the engine idles nice and smooth at about 850-900rpm.

What's the deal?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

L

·
Registered
446 Posts
The Computer tells the Idle to go up when either the parking lights or headlights turn on as well as when the A/C compressor kicks in

·
Registered
835 Posts
Could it be that, due to the lower night temperature, your engine isn't fully warmed up yet and the computer increases the rpm to do so?

·
Registered
18 Posts
it's probably your alternator.. the alternator puts out amperage more efficiently when it's cold. If your car isnt warmed up yet then it'll be revving at 2K until it reaches operating temps. Alternators reach full output at certain RPMS (i think 2000 rpm for most cars)... so once brake and go back to idle amperage drops and your electrical system gets less power

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The car has no problems with starting up or warming up. RPMs seem to be normal.
The car came with a SuperAFC (APEXi model #S-AFC9808-0395) hooked up. It seems to be an older model whereas the adjuster buttons pop-out and change color as the car goes from one range of RPMs to another. I have it set at 0 and when I adjust it one or the other it either slows down the RPMs or doesn't do anything at all.

As far as finding the AFM goes, I've looked and looked to no avail. As for the BGB, I don't have one, considering the fact that I live in Japan and all manuals are in Japanese.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you :bow To all of you that offered me advice.

I finally found the part that adjusts the idle of my '94 MR2. It's located next to the throttle body, actually it's part of the throttle assembly. I've been looking for a screw, but it is a nut. I adjusted it and the engine is now running at a smooth 850rpms at both day and night. It does rise to about 900rpms when I turn on my lights, but it is still smooth.

:banana L

1 - 10 of 10 Posts