MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a set of 1283's that I regapped to .028 and installed. They were the BKR7E-11 plugs. I think they are the same as the 6097 ngk plugs from what I have read here on the board. Correct me if Im wrong because I dont want to kill my car!! These plugs are copper and are the exact same as the 6097's to my knowledge, they just come with a .044 gap ( hence the -11 indicated by ngk). If Im wrong let me know because I dont want to hurt my car. I installed them at autozone after I bought the little tool to use to re-gap them. THe car started and drove fine home. Please let me know if I screwed up!!

·
Registered
876 Posts
i hpe you gapped them appropriately before you intalled and ran them... regapping plugs after they have been installed is a big no no... doesnt meant its going to necessarily be bad, but you are more prone to break off the tip and have it break off and there goes your motor.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
OMX said:
i hpe you gapped them appropriately before you intalled and ran them... regapping plugs after they have been installed is a big no no... doesnt meant its going to necessarily be bad, but you are more prone to break off the tip and have it break off and there goes your motor.
That is tru for platinum electrodes. It does NOT apply to copper plugs.

bill

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha! I found a thread around here somewhere that listed the different plugs and characteristics (of ngk plugs that is) and basically the BKR7E-11 has a .044 gap. They are the same as the copper 6097's so I gapped and installed them last night. First set of plugs I ever gapped too! Fun. Anyways, do it make any difference if the plugs' gaps vary by .001 at all? I checked them like 3 times each to make sure they were as close as I could get them to each other and .028.

I did contact next gear and they sent me a pack of 6 plugs, all BKR7E-11 (1283) , not the BKR7E (6097). SO instead of wasting another week to get the 6097's I decided to gamble and put the 1283's in. I haven't boosted past 5 psi yet cause im afraid still.... oh well

·
Registered
876 Posts
ahhh i was not aware of that billwot... well at least i have been practiceing safe...

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw that one, but there was another one around here that had a list of common questions that people ask alot that listed alot of things including a statement about 1283's and 6097's being the same. There was a dispute in that thread because some shop owner was talking about how copper plugs are a bad idea and how "the board" was making bad suggestions.

anyhow, I am going to try to hit full boost (16 PSI) tonight and see what happens. I have been scared because the car died on friday and I couldn't start it again untill monday. I think it ws just water but IM SO PARANOID NOW!!!

thanks for your help everybody

1 - 8 of 8 Posts