MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
y0,
Well after..many hours of no sleep, The mr2 got back together with 93 tranny (with trd lsd), spec clutch and flywheel. This was my first go at doing soemthing this major on a car. Anywho, Went to start up the car and was greeted with a "screeeeeeeeeeeeeeecH" sound.......I turned off the car. Figured I hadnt' pushed the clutch in at all, so I went to try that.........clutch pedal drops to floor.....suck. I realized i opened up one of the fittings mid swap.....So i went to bleed the clutch........Found my slave cylinder (that i just replaced a few months ago) had the weenie and decided it was better to squirt fluid out than be productive. I wasnt too happy about that, and figured I'd try and figure out the tranny\clutch\somethign noise. I start it up again and see if the pitch of the sound alters with the revs......it does slightly, and a lot of the bad noise went away. The car though still had a sound of something hitting something metal. I turned the car off and decided to consult the pros. I went to park it outside of my dads shop....lo and behold....something is deciding to leak. We arent sure what it is, but its not tranny fluid, deffinitely doesnt seem like oil, and is not coolant......mysterious, tasted bad i'll tell you that much. After all this I go to close my windows.....and my passenger window decides that it doesnt want to work today............ahhhh the car gods arent' on my side. lol. Any clues, suggestions (jump it off a building. lol). Any help is appreciated......It did rev a lot quicker\smoother :)

Andrew

·
Registered
835 Posts
hmm did u install the throw out bearing correctly? you shouldnt have to bleed the clutch since its a closed system and not part of the tranny swap.

·
Mad Collector!
554 Posts
yeah, sounds like it could be the throw out bearing. could also mean numorous other things-the clutch is improperly lined up, transmission access cover hitting the flywheel, starter froze in the out position, a bent pressure plate spine- I hope that it is something so minor that it will go away on it's own like a minutely bent spine. The last thing you want to do is take everything back down.. I just finished my second transmission job and it is no fun- especially doing it alone.. a lot of BS.
-Try lifting the rear up on stands put it in gear and rotate the tires.. you may be able to narrow down the possibilities and pin point where the sound is coming from. Good job on the the tranny man.that is a bigger job then most people care to know about. I truly hope its nothing serious man.. did you open the tranny up to inspect it or have it inspected prior to installing it? just dont want to over look the obvious. that happened on my first tranny swap.. bought it used and the guy swore it was in great condition.. ended up having a broken third gear fork.. this time around I made sure it was good before going through all that work again.. even had the forks cryo treated.. good luck man.. keep us posted

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The throw out bearing is one thing I made sure I installed properly (was talking over AIM with mister3 while basically doing the whole ordeal). Anyways, the reason why I went to bleed the clutch is that I thoght when I was pulling the components off the tranny, that I needed to undo some clutch lines...so I loosened one up. I do remember though when pulling the slave cylinder assembly off, the boot getting caught on something. I will see what happens tomorrow with a new\rebuilt one. One thing a friend of mine was thinking is that the throw out bearing may be slightly hitting the clutch. I hope it is this. lol.

As far as the tranny goes.......I trust that it is in nothing but great shape. Chicoraceworks has provided me with great goods and I have no reason to believe that anything was defective.

My guess is that its all user (me) error somewhere along the line.......heck i'm still awake.....Hitting 40 hours of no sleep......time to hit the hay and get up in 6 hours...sweeeet. lol

Thanks for the input guys. I hope my misadjusted clutch\slave cylinder stuff solve my problems....if not.....well then I have some work to do. lol..........oh and I was introduced to the joys of rebuilding the lil cv joints...wow what a pita. lol

·
Mad Collector!
554 Posts
hey man, the dust boot on the cylinder only serves as a dust cover to the release rod which its only purpose is to pivot the release fork- you will not be getting any metal-on-metal sounds out of that thing.. but yes, It could very well be nothing more than out of slight alignment which might just go away after 5 minutes of running the engine- try to do what I advised in my last post about jacking her up,putting it in gear and turning the tires to pin point where the sound is coming from- I got money that it has nothing to do with your clutch release assembly. and the highest probable source of the noise IS the throwout bearing as first suspected by 7urb0.
Glad to hear you bought it from a reputable shop. some of us (I) were not so lucky.
now go get some sleep ;)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got a new slave cylinder on the way to my house right now. I will try that here shortly and check out the tranny and wahtnot. I also just realized it put "newd" instead of "newb" in my title.......no sleep will kil yah

thanks for the help again guys :)
andrew

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got new slave cylinder in, bleed clutch........Basically feels now like I have a bad clutch (like when a clutch goes bad.).....I am so not in the mood to pull the tranny again. lol. any ideas on what this could be, other than I didnt do something right with the clutch?

Andrew

·
Mad Collector!
554 Posts
what about the metal grinding sound? has that been solved? if so what was it? when you say that i feels like a bad clutch, do you mean that it is spongy or what? I would rebleed the clutch again. it took me three times to get all the air bubbles out and to get the pedal feel back- and all I did was barely loosen up one of the lines to the release assembly.. if you put on a new cylinder I would bleed it again and make sure the resevoiur stays filled up. I know about you not wanting to take it back down that would suck. the only thing worse than doing a clutch is having to do it again.. wish I could help you out more..
-Tim

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rebleeding the clutch isnt really gonna do anything. The clutch just doesnt engage, and there is a ratteling sound.......I can only assume that I did something wrong with the clutch, bolting it in or something. I dont have the time\space this week to do it, so i'm gonna take it to a local shop. Just gotta find a place that will get it done before the weekend, and hopefully I didnt brake anything. lol Thanks for the help

Andrew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts