MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, first of all I am probably the NEWEST member to the family! I bought my '92 MR2 just a few days ago. It is a pretty nice shape, although the radio/wiring is sort of a mess.

First of all, the previous owner cut the stock radio plug off and had no radio. I talked with a local mobile audio shop and they said that most early to mid 90's Toyota's should basically have the same wiring for the radio. A. I cut the plugs off a '94 Camry (2) plugs. B. I picked up the wiring adapter for install that DOES fit for '92-97 Toyotas. C. The problem is that the Camrys colors aren't quite a match with the ones in the MR2. I suppose it's just a few colors are off, BUT, I could easily figure this out with a wiring diagram for the '92 MR2. Does anyone have one or can direct me to one? I am no virgin when it comes to radio installs, it's just I am not quite familiar with 'Yota's colors and such yet.

Also, I have the N/A model. It seems there are 2 door panel speakers/2 rear pillar (small) speakers/2 tweeters by the mirrors. Is my car equipped with a factory sub or amp?

If you can offer any help that would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

GP

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I have seem to make some progress in my radio excursion. Hehehe. Basically like I said my car had the plug cut when I got it without a radio. So I was left with a bunch of wires and colors that didn't seem to match the descriptions as provided by some of the threads on this board. I have one of the '92 PREMIUM systems. Anybody know how many of the '92 model year came with the premium system, apparantly it's pretty rare. And so I have hence found out that nobody makes a plug that fits intot he factory harness, and you have to basically re-wire the damn thing.

Good news: Previous owner installed Sony 6.5" 3-ways in the doors, and 4" Infinity mid's in the rear location. The factory sub is still in place, but not hooked up. Now I know why there was aftermarket wiring also behind the dash besides the stock wiring! :)

So, from this point it seems I just have to wire in the power, ground, remote antenna, and amp turn on (for the sub) and I should be able to get this puppy working! Woot woot biotch.

Ugghhh, I've been so use to GM systems which are fairly simple when compared to my 'Yota. :D

·
Registered
817 Posts
glad to hear your making progress, just keep at it

iv seen a premium sound system wiring adapter on the Internet before, its different then the normal Toyota wiring adapter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts