MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My WBK should be coming in the mail here today or tomorrow. I wanted to get all of the materials and tools I need to get this started this week end. I have read a few guides here and a few guides on working with fiber glass. The questions I have are more applied.

Right now the car is down to frame sitting on a half bolted in suspension. When the kit goes on it is getting all molded togeather. Do I get the shell of the car painted first before starting this work? I know that I need fiber glass to mold this togeather. What weight of fiberglass do I want to use? And type of resin? They are each diffrent and I am not sure what I need as I have not done this type of work before. Suggestions on filler\bondo?

I know I will need gloves, masks, paper paint suits, tons of sand paper, rivet gun. Anything else I may need?

Any suggestions guides and basic help is welcome.

-Ben

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because once the kit is on there is no taking it off for paint. The shell of the car is in white\primer and I want to do black. No basecoat needed first before I start glueing the body pieces on?

-Ben

·
Registered
409 Posts
i think he's trying to say that he wants to go from white.. over to black, so should he paint the shell once first, so that the pieces under the WBK - are all uniform in color.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
you do realize if you mold this kit to the car, you will be sanding part of the body or shell as you put it away, then you will need to repaint.

My suggestion is that you get some hands on experiece with these composites first before tackling the WBK project. a bit more catalyst can throw the mix off, resulting in your body work falling apart down the road just after you put a fresh coat of paint on it.

When i mean hands on experiece, maybe just make a hood scoop or something small to get at the very least a feel for what your trying to accomplish....people do this for a living, its a profession and takes practice.

EDIT: if the above post is true to what you want to do, then I wouldn't waste my time painting a part you will never see...once the kit is on, its on for good.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The above is exactly what I was asking. I did not think it would matter but I want this to be done right and did not know if it was standard to have the shell basecoated first before doing the body work. This car is going to be my hands on with the body work. The car is bare and wont run. I am in no hurry and am looking to learn. Thats why I am asking questions. Thickness of glass to use and type of resin? I might just have to find someone local...

-Ben

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
You will find a lot of knowledge from this board and there are a lot of knowledgable people, some even professionals. But its best to find a second place to as questions. Try and find an old autobody/auto supply/paint store somewhere local. They usually know what they are talking about, quick to help, and its good to get to know the people you will be spending many many $$$ with to get all the composites you need, thats what i did and i get a pretty nice discount just because i spend so much money where I go.

I would HIGHLY recommend buying a dual action sander and an air compressor with at least a 30 gallon capacity with a good duty cycle if your going to be sanding fiberglass. The most important tool to your list though is a good air resporator like you have in your first post. ALSO, before you buy the compressor (if you odn't have one already) check to make sure your household/shop can meet AND exceedthe electrical requirements (amperage and volts).

What brand of composites are you going with? I do not recommend bondo brand.

Whatever you expect with this project of yours, multiply it by three. Its going to cost 3 times as much, take 3 times as long, and your going to work 3 times harder than you are thinking you will have to today. But just pick a time to work on it and try to save an extra $50-$60 a week to buy materials and just take it one week at a time.

Sounds like an awesome project! :thumbup Hope some of that helps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have no ideas on brands of stuff to get. I was kinda looking for that from here from some pros or people who can make suggestions. I already have a compressor and I have an elec orbital sander. Do plan on taking my time and I understand the cost. Thanks

-Ben

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
USC or us chemical has worked real well for me. They make plastic filler, icing, fiberglass....etc. I would also recommend duraglass for those areas where you have to fill in more than a 1/4" thick.

8leg's is the bodywork professional on the board, I believe he said he uses Rage gold plastic filler.

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
I use Rage Gold Pro for skimming and minor repairs. For molding you'll need to go with a fiber filler like kitty hair,gorilla hair etc. It is fiber shard reinforce filler. Then use the rage pro gold to finish that off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts