MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a new (bought part from Partznet) transmission in my 93 Mr2 in April of 2004. Since then, 8-12K miles on car with new transmission. Transmission installed by local garage that has been working on car since I bought it in 2002. The original tranny had 181K miles on it.

Son took gauge cluster out around Thanksgiving, to install white faced gauge faces. He screwed something up, and cracked clear plastic gauge face cover taking it apart. He paid same garage about $600 to replace speedometer assembly /cluster. Speedometer has not worked properly since this time, he did not bother however to mention this immediately, and refused to take it back to them and get them to correct whatever the issue was causing the new speedo to misbehave.

Yesterday, car went to same garage, as the evening before, he was driving it and it made this weird noise and seemed like it needed service. Garage called me an hour and a half later and told me the transfer case on his tranny had a crack in it, all the fluid had then drained out, and caused failure of the new transmission (that has less than 12K miles on it since it was replaced!) They said a gear in there was broken they could hear it rattling around inside there.

PartzNet has generously offered to cover half the cost of a new part (12 month warranty expired), no labor to reinstall since I did not have installed at a Toyota dealer, (because I buy A LOT of part from them). Gulf States Toyota has offered up $500 credit reimbusement on a future repair (not this one) parts or labor because this is not the only Toyota I own, and they spoke to PartzNet and heard about how much $ I have spent buying parts from them. (and because let's face it, no Toyota tranny should fail after 8-12K miles)

I found a thread out here that indicated that speedo issues can cause tranny failure. Any insights any of you could share would be much appreciated. I am curious if the garage that installed the new speedo could have done something that would have caused this new transmission to fail?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I just rebuild my tranny. the only thing that can come apart on the speedo system is the vinyl speedometer driven gear. that can break off causing the speedo not to work. the plastic gear, ofcoarse will still be in the tranny, but there is nothing in the tranny that is fragile enough for this plastic to break it. it could get shreaded and stuck in the sliders causing it not to shift, but I honestly believe its not enough to break one of the gears.

I drove with a speedo gear in my tranny for months and it had no bad effect other than breaking the new plastic gear I put in to replace it.

if it was an oiling problem the plastic could have clogged the pick up, i would believe that, but not that it broke a gear/fork/slider.

by transfer case, do you mean the diff. section of the gear box? tranfer cases are normally only on 4WD vehicles. where exactly is the crack.

oh, and your 93 has an electronic speedo, your son could have screwed up wiring to make the speedo not work, but there is nothing in the dash that will effect the transmission in that way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts