MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I think 'work' is a relative term when it comes to wheel fitment lately. A wheel that works is bolt-on and drive - which 8.5" up front is clearly not. Banging on suspension components & rolling fenders requires a little effort. Almost anything could work with the required effort.

As for looks only, after owning these things for 17 years, I've found that 8.5" up front and 10.5" wide rears is about the cosmetic limit - though going wider is very do-able (I've seen a 9" front & 11" rear combo). While a 9" wide front can work, when it's all done and in place I find the symmetry doesn't look as good as it could w/ 8" or 8.5" wide. But that's just me.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Correct - "works" can cover a wide range of effort. I guess some very minor clearancing of fenders/liners seems reasonable to me, but some people make it seem like they mangle up the stock stuff to get the clearance. I guess some of those people also a much more street/easy driving amount of camber like -1 to -1.5. I'll be at -3 up front - it's the only way to roll with struts.

If things go really sour on the 8.5s, I can always sell them and get some 8's and chalk it up to me being stubborn and stupid. But given my theme of somewhat following Alex W's path (because why not let someone else do most the hard work for you???), I'm going to go with 17x8.5 +30 and 17x9.5 +38.

I am probably not going to make it to the track this year either... At least not seriously going at it (might just put around a day or two), so I might see if I can stretch these Indy 500's out for a while longer. There's just one worrisome gash on the fronts after another inspection - but it is still above 2/32 total tread depth, so will likely be fine.

·
Premium Member
12,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
One rule of thumb that I have figured out over the years is that each degree of camber is worth 5-6mm of fender clearance, and of course costs you 5-6mm of clearance to the strut / coilover on the inside. I don't know what camber setting the old standard "8 +35 = flush" rule came from, but say it's -1.5°. Crank that in to -3.5° and all of a sudden you have an extra 10-12mm of fender clearance. Assuming you can get the strut out of the way of course.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am thinking of getting a new set of Nitto tires, but still not quite sure about it. I need more information about the brand. Does anyone here has tried Nitto Tires? Any input will be significant.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts