MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my new track rubber mounted and thought I would share:

Wheels are of course Enkei RPF1's, specs are 17x8.5 +30 front with a 12mm spacer, and 17x9.5 +38 rear. Tires are Nitto NT01's, 235/40-17 front and 255/40-17 rear.

One observation, these Nittos run WIDE! In my opinion they look about the same on the wheel as my Star Specs of the same widths looked on wheels a half inch narrower.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
cool.. Nice to see wider wheels with the right width tyre on it. LOL!! Those wheels are great. I had them on my FD and bought some center caps from CCW wheel (John) and they finished the wheel off much better. The center caps that you can buy for them aren't the nicest looking.. great car though!!

·
Premium Member
12,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmong337 said:
What suspension are you running to be able to clear those 235's?
Suspension is basically all of my custom parts. Geometry adjustment kit, top mounts, Koni coilovers. Most of it has little to do with fitting the tires however. The top mounts do effect the wheel flushness, hence the 17x8.5's with an effective offset of +18 appearing flush in the front, but the main reason I am running the 12mm spacer is to clear the coilovers.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Bumping this, thinking of these sizes and offsets. Any rubbing driving around, like is steering angle significantly reduced or tons of fender liner wear as the tires move up and down?

·
Premium Member
12,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, this is a throwback. Really testing my memory here.

It definitely wasn't a completely trouble free fit. The front fenders were rolled and pulled as much as I could without having to do paint work. Keep in mind the effective front offset was +18 on an 8.5 when the normal rule of thumb for flush is +35 on an 8. If I recall correctly it didn't rub the fender liners, but this has more to do with suspension stiffness, ride height, and tire diameter. The 235/40 is a nice size for the front of the MR2 as the diameter isn't TOO excessive. I do think it limited steering angle some / rubbed the back inside corner at full lock. But it wasn't terrible.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Is this another car you have or the red one? The 8.5’s flush has me a bit wondering how... but pulled fenders might just do it... I imagine with that +offset it won’t hit the purch or CO setup? Isn’t the red car a 9/10” setup?

·
Premium Member
12,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is this another car you have or the red one? The 8.5’s flush has me a bit wondering how... but pulled fenders might just do it... I imagine with that +offset it won’t hit the purch or CO setup? Isn’t the red car a 9/10” setup?
This is my old car. The one I wrecked back in 2013. Yes, the red car is on 9/10, has the modified fenders to fit it cleanly, etc.

The strut top mounts are a big part of getting those wheels flush.

My current coilovers with the extended front knuckle bracket could probably do it with a smaller spacer (the red car is on 9 +22 fronts and they just clear without a spacer). But this car had coilovers built on stock strut housings and therefore needed the 8.5's at +18 to clear.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Okay, now I remember about that car... between the 2010-2015 (aka Facebook yrs) and now I have forgot a lot, especially with two car hobbies... so the fenders on the red car... didn’t you cut triangle sections out, pull and then added new metal? Those 9” fronts with that shallow barrel looks SO good

·
Premium Member
12,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, now I remember about that car... between the 2010-2015 (aka Facebook yrs) and now I have forgot a lot, especially with two car hobbies... so the fenders on the red car... didn’t you cut triangle sections out, pull and then added new metal? Those 9” fronts with that shallow barrel looks SO good
Yeah, I did both the front and rear that way. Bodywork Phase 1 - Flared Fenders

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Ahhh yes... I remember reading all this, and might I say a well done job... I had this idea early 2000’s.. not uncommon in the 964 race car community back then... great idea tho... You and Mike R. have two well sorted out cars... I need to make the 2GR jump, but I don’t have the facility to perform the swap (sad face).... oh well....

thanks for link

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hmmm... decisions... I’d rather not try to pull the front fenders, as I had that go really poorly on my S13 240SX when I did that. Basically the front fender didn’t have enough stiffness and started this weird wave thing, which just got worse the more I worked the fender.

I really like the spoke design of the rear 9.5s, but don’t think a 1.5”front to rear stagger is good If I went with 8” fronts. Keeping a little tire stretch also sounds cool, but not if it’s a total pain fitting the fronts.

Since I don’t want to do more than a light roll with this car I guess I should play it safe with 17x8 +35 and 17x9 +35.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
That’s the safe route... especially if you have oem style purch’s’s’s... if you have coilovers you’ll probably need crash bolts and camber plates (not a huge deal) but if you run 225/245 or larger you’ll need to roll... pulled fenders is for more extreme widths... I still don’t know how my 9.5’s worked without the pull, but it magically does

🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hmmm... decisions... I’d rather not try to pull the front fenders, as I had that go really poorly on my S13 240SX when I did that. Basically the front fender didn’t have enough stiffness and started this weird wave thing, which just got worse the more I worked the fender.

I really like the spoke design of the rear 9.5s, but don’t think a 1.5”front to rear stagger is good If I went with 8” fronts. Keeping a little tire stretch also sounds cool, but not if it’s a total pain fitting the fronts.

Since I don’t want to do more than a light roll with this car I guess I should play it safe with 17x8 +35 and 17x9 +35.
@Tritsch has 9s and 245s in front on his with little to no fender work done. It's taken him a while to make it work, but it is possible.

·
Premium Member
12,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@Tritsch has 9s and 245s in front on his with little to no fender work done. It's taken him a while to make it work, but it is possible.
Yeah, but I think his are 15's, which makes the tire diameter pretty small and much easier to fit.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
I’ve seen 245’s up front but the car I saw was not for spirited track, so not sure of that guys car intentions... 245’s without flairs would be a task especially if you drive it hard

1 - 20 of 44 Posts