MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're in the area and need to get into a place this weekend.

Needs to be cat friendly and under $700/mo. Our credit is wasted but we have cash for first/last/security. I have a job, she's working on it, but obviously that doesn't count towards rental stuff.

Been looking at so... many... postings...

Looks like our price range is 80% likely to come with roaches. Never had to deal with bugs before haha

Saw these ads which sound like what we need. Are the areas OK? Google Maps only does so much.

Hoping someone on here can help us out!

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/apa/4188899719.html 2650 E Mckellips Rd

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/apa/4151802124.html 884 East Bell Road

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/apa/4181745726.html 630 S Morris Circle

And what about places that help find apartments? Any angle to watch out for or anything like that?

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/apa/4172054102.html

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Any area in Mesa I'm leery of due to crime and drugs (mainly Meth) there. There may be a couple places not so bad in Mesa but they usually have a bad neighborhood within spitting distance of it.

Union Hills and in the Teens Ave? Nit sure of that area specifically, but teens usually means bad areas.

Cheap rent usually means a bad area, there's a reason Scottsdale is higher rent and it just ain't the name itself.

When I get home in 2-3 hours ill start looking, cant on phone. I might just be able to find a North Scottsdale place for that price, although its gonna be a small place.

The 700 a month, does that include utilities? What area are you working in (cross streets are fine)? Also rush hour is crap for travelling so keep that in mind (although it sure as hell ain't LA bad). Also 1 or 2 bedroom? And do you absolutely NEED bus transit? or do you got reliable DDers?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Well the only real decently reviewed (actual reviews, not fake ones for some crappy complex) one was Villa Montana

List of their floorplans

Some of the 530 sq. ft. and 650 sq. ft. plans are below $700 but that depends on which units it seems, probably the typical 2nd floor is cheaper thing.

It's a nice area with lots of stores, although it is a little bit away from the 101 so travelling time to places may be a bit high depending where you work or whatever you want to do. Also Shea Blvd is a bit of a PITA during rush hour.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help man! We came here in an old RV and we're staying at the Scottsdale Trailer Corral at 3202 N. Scottsdale. We love the town but didn't think we'd find anything we could afford up here.

We'd really like one that includes utilities but then again we don't use much so that's not a huge problem.

I'm working up at Best Buy in Scottsdale, right off the 101 loop, so I can live pretty much anywhere. My fiancee is still job searching but we have a good feeling about the working interview she went on in Tempe nearish ASU. Neither of us are opposed to buses if we have to. We're sharing a car for now.

One bedroom is fine.

The one you linked would be fine for me (nice and close to work) so I'd bike/take the bus. She'd take the car down to Tempe for that job if she gets it.

Only thing we're worried about is credit checks... our credit is crap due to school loans and other junk. We have cash to pay for a couple months + deposit plus good references from previous landlords so we're hoping that's good enough!

Here's what scares me on that place's page since my girl doesn't have employment yet and all I have is my seasonal BB job:

If applicant does not have verifiable employment with a gross monthly income of a minimum of 3.0 times the amount of rent and wishes to use another source of verifiable income, the applicant must show proof of funds equal to 3.0 times the monthly stated rent for the term of requested lease. (As an example: Rent is $600 per month. The applicant will be signing a 6 month lease - proof of $10,800 in liquid funds must be verified.)
Gettin worried as we only have a day or two to find a place to go! :dontknow:

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got off the phone with a 'box' rental place that had over 500 units.

I'm dizzy from all the fees... and very scared if this is all the norm.

720sqf 1br in Tempe.

$715/mo if we sign up a 7 month lease.

Some 80% occupancy water usage fee? She said it was around $30/mo.

Electricity would be separate in our name (sounds normal?)

$20 PER cat monthly rental fee (wat?)

$300 refundable pet fee

$300 non-refundable pet sanitation fee??

$50k required rental insurance ($10 month)

$150 move in fees (???)

$200 security deposit (refundable)

$80 application fee (non-refundable)

+ 2% tax on everything.

That brought the move in cost to nearly $1300!

Are all these fees normal??? Holy crap!!

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I also posted this on the city-data forum and found... yeah, that's pretty normal. Bit different than just handing my landlord a check every month back home.

I hate to just ask "are these good?" but we have literally 24 hours to find a place before... well, we just have to find one!

I was told to shy away from any low number roads... but that's where the deals are! Like this one:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/apa/4193418153.html 525 E Bethany Home Rd Phoenix AZ

Ugh, this isn't easy!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoenix-area/1993241-about-homeless-bad-credit-but-cash.html

·
Registered
186 Posts
The north phoenix area isn't too bad. I used to live in the BellRidge apartments (844 E Bell Rd #3105 to be exact) 10 years ago. It was OK for my first place. They've cleaned up the place a LOT in the past couple years (remodel, paint, etc).

The pet deposits, sanitation fees & pet rent are normal. I think the whole 'sanitation fee' is a load of ________ personally because they need to replace the carpet like every 2 years anyway. If I'm in an apartment for 3 years, why do I have to pay to sanitize the carpets?

Later tonight when I have time I'll shop around my area for you. Worse comes to worse, I have a HUGE driveway and awning you can park your RV under and hook up to water/electric :p

**Edit
Didn't see you sold the RV.. lol I have tents!!

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. We ended up going to 'Valley King Properties' and they set us up at Monterey Village in Phoenix.

They had us put the RV cash into a bank account and use my balance instead of the credit report which was awesome.

After all the pet fees and everything it was just under $600 move in and $650 a month with everything but electricity/cable/internet. Have to figure out this prepaid electricity stuff in the morning.

I'm so burnt out from numbers and paperwork... I can't think straight at all. Tomorrow we move out of the RV and deliver it, Sunday I have my first day at work. This is gonna be fun.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And 4thgenceli, thank you for that offer, it really means a lot. Once we're settled I'll have to get together with everyone for a meet and buy a round!!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Looks like the cat is killing your odds at a good cheap place.

My apartment for example, 82nd St and Camelback (Scottsdale Serrento Apartments) is $830/mo with 1 year lease for a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom.

... but if we had a pet add a few hundred bucks to the bill.

It's crime-free around here. Like Pleasantville for real. :thumbup

Try looking into splitting a HOUSE with someone you don't know.
That kind of deal got me by for a few years when I was broke.

·
I <3 E85
6,057 Posts
acentrella said:
Looks like the cat is killing your odds at a good cheap place.

My apartment for example, 82nd St and Camelback (Scottsdale Serrento Apartments) is $830/mo with 1 year lease for a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom.

... but if we had a pet add a few hundred bucks to the bill.

It's crime-free around here. Like Pleasantville for real. :thumbup

Try looking into splitting a HOUSE with someone you don't know.
That kind of deal got me by for a few years when I was broke.
Splitting a house can be the way to go. My mortgage is $800.44/mo for 1825sqft on ~1/4 acre with a pool.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts