MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got new wheels and tires for my car, but there was too much wheeltuck in the back (I think Gordaen's says -19mm).

FRONT: 17x7.5-35mm with 215/45R17
BACK: 17.7.5-35mm with 235/45R17

So I got 20mm billet wheel spacers, but now they are rubbing when I go over dips. I live in WV, so the whole road is like a giant dip. The tires were getting shredded, so I took off the spacers.

So I was wondering if you think I should roll my fenders, or maybe get the spacers machined down 3-5mm or so? I can't return them b/c I got them like 2 months ago....

What would you do in this situation? I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
7,544 Posts
Easy enough to roll the rear inner gaurd to see if you have enough clearnace. This will allow approx 10mm more room and remove the cutting steel edge which shreads tyres.

Simply remove wheel and take a hairdryer to warm the metal around top of wheel arch. When warm use a rubber mallet to pound the inner lip upwards. It will bend quite easily and there will be no damage to outside gaurd including paint.

Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay I've been watching youtubes about it. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

I wonder if this will affect that car's value down the road. The paint job is crap but the rest of the car is in great condition. I've had it since 2007 and plan to keep it.

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
I wouldnt think properly rolled fenders would affect your value down the road.

Honestly if youre concerned about value you may be in the wrong game. Damn near anything you do to these things that involves using them reduces the value.

·
Premium Member
12,828 Posts
Unless the car is pristine and all original, I can't see fender rolling effecting the value, as long as it is done well.

Even on a very good condition car, fender rolling is, in my opinion, only going to lower the value to the very small percentage of people who will 1.) even notice that they are rolled, and 2.) care.

Again, done well is the key. If it becomes visible from outside then you might be going too far.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
I would say the only risk w/ fender rolling (other than perceived value and whether it's done properly) is that if it's done too tightly, there's an added risk of rust if moisture develops in the fold. I've seen that in non-MR2 cars but I think Toyota has decent sheet metal as I haven't seen it yet on SW20s w/ rolled fenders.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts